back to article Ransomware crims to sell off 'scandalous' files swiped from Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj, Puff Daddy's legal eagles

Ransomware criminals claiming to have siphoned confidential docs on Nicki Minaj, Mariah Carey, and Lebron James from an American law firm are threatening to auction off the info. The REvil ransomware gang declared it will sell off troves of the paperwork, which it said it exfiltrated from the computer systems of American …

1. BebopWeBop Silver badge
    Facepalm

Does anyone really care? Publish and be damned....

1. not.known@this.address Silver badge

Exactly.

Who are these people, anyway? Now, if they had proof of what USG have got hidden under wraps at Area 51 - or better yet, Area 52 - it might be worth seeing...

2. Dave Pickles

Someone has been watching the Monty Python "Blackmail" sketch.

3. Long John Silver
    Pirate

Who, what, why bother?

The extortionists would have to pay me to read salacious material concerning the three individuals of whom I had not previously heard and about whom I gather to be of zero significance in my scheme of things.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Publicity stunt?

Of course it could simply be a publicity stunt to raise the public profile of a bunch of has-beens (or probably for most Reg Readers, never-wases).

5. Intractable Potsherd Silver badge

RoI?

Let's suppose someone does buy this crap information - how do they recoup the cost?

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

A second tranche?

If the first lot doesn't live up to expectations, then the second lot won't be saleable. So if there's not enough juice in the first lot, why would they split it into two lots to be sold at a different time? If there was little to nothing of value, they'd do better to pump the entire trove in one big hyped up sale.

7. IGotOut Silver badge

Scandal!

They have found a Mariah Carey single that doesn't make you want to beat your eardrums with a 2lb lump hammer.

1. jvf

Re: Scandal!

Her first album was excellent. After that, ouch!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020