back to article None shall pass: Yet another layer to protect hapless users, employers from dodgy docs added to Microsoft 365

Feeling a bit uncertain about things? Never fear, kind old Microsoft has made Safe Documents generally available (assuming you're a Microsoft 365 E5 subscriber). Aimed at enterprise users, the feature improves on the Protected View with which users of Office apps are all too familiar. Protected View is supposed to keep users …

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Hmmm

"We want to make the cloud more secure for you, despite people exploiting 365 trials to send you spam and/or malware. But to make it more secure, you have to give us more money".

2. 0laf Silver badge

Show me the money

Yeah 365 can be very very secure if... you pay an astounding amount of money for an E5 license + extras and then have a dedicated team to configure and manage the setup.

We can't afford E5 and we still have to have pretty much 1 FTE just working on keeping up with the changes MS push through every week.

It's a system build on shifting sand.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: Show me the money

Thats the most annoying part about cloud, the forced updates and forced "We looked at our data and not enough people use this service so it will no longer be available. Yes, we know 100k of you rely on it, but that's not enough for us to keep it available. So suck it and move on. And yes, we're aware in the good old days of local installs you could of kept it forever, but not anymore. And yes, we'll continue to do this over and over yet still promote cloud as being better than local installs, when in fact, its a bit of both"

3. EnviableOne Silver badge

yet more pies Defender has its grubby little fingers in

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have an idea...

How about a file type that simply doesn't allow content that could be malicious, like macros? Wait, that have that... Or is the problem that they can't plug all the various holes in their product that could allow code execution?

1. W.S.Gosset Silver badge

Re: I have an idea...

Yes. A good and foolproof defence for MSWord docts would be just a forced conversion to RTF. (And perhaps back again.) Strips all macros.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020