back to article Ancient Arm server outfit Kaleao resprouts as Bamboo with CPU offload plan and electricity-saving power play

Arm server vendor Kaleao, which The Register covered way back in 2016, has re-emerged with a new name – Bamboo – and what it reckons is a fresh approach to building servers. The company will target microservices with its new B1008N units, a 1U chassis capable of holding one or two blades each packing four servers. Each blade …

1. Bronek Kozicki Silver badge

This is mildly interesting

I do like ARM servers, but Cortex A72 is "bare" Armv8 ISA, without atomic instructions which are rather useful on multi-core servers. Please wake me up again when they release new hardware with something like Ampere Altra.

2. HildyJ Silver badge
    Thumb Up

The thing that gives me hope

Just to hear a CEO admit that "we don't know what we don't know" is refreshing. If they can keep that in mind throughout development, they might have a chance.

Too many people are moving to the cloud willy-nilly while ignoring the benefits of small servers and most server companies are focusing on the cloud market.

Now they just need to make a data management acronym which translates to eucalyptus.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020