back to article HPE's GreenLake remade with fresh set of cloud services as biz starts move to aaS future

HPE is going public with a series of enhancements for its GreenLake Cloud Services, an on-premises managed computing service. "We take our technology, we take the hardware, we take software – it might be third-party or our software – with our HPEFS financing arm, and with our HPE Pointnext services, and we bring that together …

1. Peter-Waterman1

Sounds a bit like an azure stack or AWS outposts without being able to run the same functionality as the cloud.

1. Mike the FlyingRat

@Peter-Waterman

Right now AWS, Azure and GCP are pitching their kit to go on-prem.

Now if we think about it... HPE is putting hardware/software, essentially an appliance in your data center and you only pay for your compute/storage. This covers their costs for monitoring and maintaining the hardware on your premise where you pay for the electricity. The question is if they can be cost competitive. The upside is that if you're risk adverse, you have the capability that you would get in the cloud without leaving your data center.

Its going to be interesting to see how it plays out, but its definitely positioned well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We take our technology, we take the hardware, we take software – it might be third-party or our software – with our HPEFS financing arm, and with our HPE Pointnext services, and we bring that together"

Their software division was sold off to Microfocus and SUSE. Their services were spun off as DXC. Whatever was left was rebranded as HPE Pointnext. Its frankly disturbing how little they care about being a solution provider. But now all of a sudden, customers are meant to trust them to provide solutions? I hope nobody falls for this. HPE is hemorrhaging intellectual property, skill and experience and has been doing so for years. Their long term plan is hoping that someone comes along and buys them off. In the meantime they will keep hemorrhaging to look more attractive to potential buyers.

1. Mike the FlyingRat
      Boffin

@AC

Not sure of your conclusion.

HPE bought BlueData and then MapR.

So they actually have some interesting capabilities.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC

Tiny acquisitions, one of which has downscaled itself 71% over the last 2 years. Funny how HPE always ends buying losers. They might have the IP but where are all of their consultants and solution engineers? Do you understand the concept of being a solution provider?

2. ManMountain1

Strange conclusion.

Some software went, some cool stuff has been acquired and HPE works with just about anyone.

Services - the outsource went but HPE acquired 2 cloud consultancies.

And the hardware continues to be good.

You sound a bit bitter mate.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Since you are just rephrasing the guy above, read my response to him. Those are tiny acuqitusions. HPE sold off entire division of their business, i.e Services and Software. Why is the CEO promising to deliver services and solutions when they clearly no longer have the resources to back it up? SMB are not interested in HPEs IP. They need consultants, solution engineers to design and implement solutions.

I am not bitter. I am a professional. I dont get emotional when I tell major clients to avoid IT investments in a tin pushing company who won't be able to reward them with anything worthwhile.

Try telling a client who has a high 6 figures of service "credits" left on their account that they are only good for 10min auto generated reports by L1 engineer in Bangalore.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh, just watch out

You can easily end up with a crappy deal, if someone doesn't check all the fine print, that'll make you wonder why you didn't just outright purchase a better and cheaper solution. You'll also inevitably waste a lot more time discussing things back and forth with HPE, instead of just buying the kit, expanding your environment, and getting on with it. You'll also find they'll attempt to weasel out of doing work they agreed to.

Don't ask me how I know.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HPE is like your Uncle Bob trying to act cool

HPE’s story is a total cluster. They make the best server kit in the business, they have tremendous financing capability, and know how to work with partners. If they would just partner up with every independent colo in the world, every non-AWS/MSFT/GOOG cloud in the world then the message would at least make sense. “BEST CLOUD COMPUTE, BEST CLOUD DATA CENTERS, NO SW LOCK IN, LOWEST COST GUARANTEED.” Then shut up.

Instead they are trying to do another Helion on the cheap, patching together retreaded mediocre low priced software acquisitions that failed. MapR and BlueData were OK. But they lost. You’re not going to dominate cloud and K8s with this and the same old barfy HP marketing-speak.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020