back to article No longer a planet and left out in the cold, Pluto, it turns out, may have had hot beginnings

Pluto, the icy dwarf planet hanging out in the Kuiper Belt, may well have been hot when it formed and could have supported a subsurface liquid ocean early in its development. According to a study published in Nature Geoscience, the origins of the no-longer-ninth-planet's chemical interactions between these oceans and the rocky …

1. OssianScotland
    Alien

Not a planet?

Meh.... Pluto bloody IS a planet!

Icon: they told me so!

1. Teiwaz

Re: Not a planet?

Snoopy Noopers tell you this?

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Coat

> Pluto bloody IS a planet!

But Goofy definitely isn't.

1. Chris G

"They went on to say that Pluto and other large dwarf planets"

Just a leettle bit curious as to when a large dwarf stops being a dwarf and starts being not a dwarf?

When you read about Pluto it certainly has all the hallmarks of a planet; possible oceans, dunes, blue skies and an atmosphere.

This is worth a look; https://www.space.com/43-pluto-the-ninth-planet-that-was-a-dwarf.html

1. Anonymous Coward
          Boffin

The IAU definition is: is in orbit around the Sun, has sufficient mass to assume hydrostatic equilibrium (a nearly round shape), and has "cleared the neighborhood" around its orbit. Pluto fails the last of these.

If you remove the last requirement then Pluto becomes a planet again ... but so do very many other objects, perhaps a hundred or so. So I think the idea is to keep the number of things we call 'planets' fairly small while having some criteria other than 'Joe says it's a planet' for what a planet is.

But it's just words: Pluto doesn't care what we call it.

3. redpawn

Dues not paid, so no planetary status for you, even if we have to change the rules repeatedly to exclude you. Just because you are round, have a moon, are geologically active, orbit the sun instead of a star you have no claim. You are an ex-planet just like the exoplanets. Rules are rules.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Go Away!

I was really hurt when you decided to expel me from the gang, making up some arbitrary rule to justify it. Ever since then I've been living a lonely life, shunned by those that I once thought were my friends.

NOW you find me interesting and want to come over and get to know me a bit more??

Too late I'm hurt now. You can all Bugger Off - I don't need any of you.

3. Mark192

It'll be a planet again

Everything about Pluto's demotion screams prejudice.

They say it's not a planet because it's not "cleared its orbital neighbourhood" and yet they let Neptune join the club when Pluto is in Neptune's orbital neighbourhood.

Also, if earth has cleared its orbital neighbourhood, why are we looking for asteroids that could wipe us out?

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: It'll be a planet again

if earth has cleared its orbital neighbourhood, why are we looking for asteroids that could wipe us out?

Because Earth has cleared its orbit. All these asteroids we're looking out for are in orbits that happen to cross Earth's orbit. Occassionally, they cross Earth's orbit just as Earth is getting to the same point.

1. Jim Mitchell

And yet the moon sits right there, reminding us that the Earth has definitely not cleared its orbit....

1. gloucester

If I understand correctly (an increasingly rare event these days), 'the moon' was a product of the earth clearing its orbit. Or a failed attempt of same by a suddenly former possibly planet.

2. james 68

Earth also has several "moonlets", asteroids locked in Lagrangian orbits. So not so much with the orbital clearance as a category for planethood. Also how does clearing an orbit work for planethood when you consider planetary rings? Is Saturn not a planet then? Demoting Pluto was arbitrary and capricious, which is why they waited until most of those present went to lunch before forwarding the motion.

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

If Earth has cleared its orbit, what is Cruithne doing there???

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The Moon is in orbit around the Earth: not around the Sun.

4. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Exoplanets are not planets!

Of course they are. The IAU definition is stupid to exclude them just because they don't orbit the Sun. Exoplanets are planets.

5. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Alien

Dwarf Planet

Who cares, a Dwarf Planet is still a Planet. It's right there in the name. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune are called Gas Giant Planets, Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars are called Rocky Planets. Pluto, Charon, and their Trans-Neptunian fellows can be called Dwarf Planets or Ice Planets or Banana Planets for all I care. They are there, they are interesting, and I don't care what "label" some committee decides to stick on them. Someday these committee members will wake up to that fact that the real world doesn't fit into convenient little pigeonholes, that it is in fact all just infinite shades of {insert-favourite-colour-here}, and they have all been wasting their time trying to categorise the universe. No matter how hard you try, it's impossible to tidy up the universe. It's just inherently messy, and wonderful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like