back to article Qualcomm looks to hook the masses to 5G... if it arrives: Snapdragon 690, X51 modem to power mid-range gear

Qualcomm is bringing its 5G connectivity to its mid-range 600-series of Snapdragons for the first time. That means the next generation of modest smartphones powered by these system-on-chips can potentially tap into 5G networks - if available - bringing high-speed mobile broadband to more than just owners of fancy top-end …

1. batfink Silver badge

That'll be handy

...when I ever find a use case for 5G on my phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That'll be handy

Thats also assuming there is proper UK wide 5G available ! TFTFY.

At the moment, it is just postage stamp sized launches in a few cities to score brownie points. The networks are reluctant to invest in street furniture to support 5G penetration. Only upgarding (at snails pace) the current antennae. No new towers dedicated for 5G.

Heard Huawei is back in favour?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I could use it.....

..... as a home BB internet via a 5G router and get rid of the gouging incumbent landline telcos.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Build and they will come...

This was the comment by PAN-AM chief to Boeing chief when they were debating whether to build the Jumbo 747 ! The rest is history.

Alas, these days all the big corporates are dictated & ruled by the beancounters, stiffling rapid innovation and launches. Shareholders on Wall Street want quarterly gratifications. Ditto our Square mile.

1. P. Lee Silver badge

Re: Build and they will come...

This is a little different from the 747 case. Once you've filled a 747 you can fill another one. What happens when you've saturated the bandwidth on 5G?

Don't get me wrong - I have it and it is impressive, but cables will always give you more capacity than you can get from wireless. 5G is cheap because you don't need the last mile cable, but I'd like to think there is also an investment in fibre going on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020