back to article Microwave-tech-touting British upstart scores £3.6m to build 'large-scale quantum 'puters'

A UK startup has harvested £3.6m in seed funding to put into its vision for the future of quantum computing. Demoted science minister Amanda Solloway today confirmed Brighton-based Universal Quantum as the recipient of the funds. Hoxton Ventures, backers of Deliveroo and Village Global, bankrolled by the likes of Bill Gates, …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Demoted science minister Amanda Solloway"

To be fair she has no science background which puts her on par with her predecessors.

2. Jim Mitchell

"Other approaches to quantum computing require alignment of millions of laser beams with such incredible accuracy, the company said."

Some other approaches to quantum computing might require millions of lasers, but I don't think most do, so this is an odd statement.

1. druck Silver badge

Quantum funding

Well that's another £3.6m which will simultaneously occupy the quantum states of valid scientific research and fraudulent waste of public funds.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Quantum funding

Either way, at only 3.6 million pounds, it's a bargain!

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Are we there yet?

Asks the old man in the back of the car. He was just a kid when we when set off on the excursion to the Quantum Computing and Fusion Power Expo

1. Julz

Re: Are we there yet?

Well yes, and no...

2. Expectingtheworst

I thought that was Fusion Power.

1. Jim Mitchell

Somebody confusing their "always 20 years away" technologies might explain the millions of lasers comment. That is one way of doing fusion.

4. Mark192

It works!

Given the way these scale exponentially, whoever cracks quantum computing at scale really will own the Internet.

I'm as excited about this as I am about fusion power and my prospects of an above inflation pay rise.

1. druck Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: It works!

I love a post literally dripping with sarcasm.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like