back to article 20 months behind bars for IT support worker who nicked £30k worth of crypto-cash

An IT support bod who reportedly stole more than £30,000 in Bitcoin, Litecoin and Ethereum has been jailed. Mark Andrews of St Helens, northwest England, was sentenced to prison by Liverpool Crown Court after pleading guilty to one charge of theft and one charge under the Computer Misuse Act. By day 38-year-old Andrews was a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Absolutely shocking

That someone from St Helens had technical ability..

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Self-employed!

With a record like his, probably tough finding honest work? Might be even harder now! or shall we say in about 20 months...

1. pop_corn

Re: Self-employed!

10 months. He'll be out on parole after serving 50% of his sentence.

How did the victim manage to prove it was him though? I know the blockchain is visible to all, but how did he determine the thief's wallet belonged to this guy?

1. robidy Silver badge

Re: Self-employed!

I suspect he left droppings on the laptop the cops lifted...bit of a school boy error to commit a crime using your own kit...

3. cantankerous swineherd Silver badge

surprised the cops followed it up, did the victim have a word down at the lodge?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a wally

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only 38 years old?

Looks more like 48 to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only 38 years old?

Deffo got a few miles on him.

6. Potemkine!

What about redemption?

I am always shocked with the anglo-saxon usage to publish the name and the picture of a convict. That guy made a mistake and will pay the price for it, but does he really deserve to be shamed on the web, with an article that will be visible forever (that is as long as the web exists )? When the sentence will be accomplished, why should the guy carry the load of his fault forever through a simple web search? What does giving his name and a picture bring to us readers, is that so valuable compared to the life-long effect it will have on this man?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about redemption?

He didn't make a mistake - he abused a position of trust. Its difficult to see how you could manage that by mistake.

Not his first 'mistake' in this field either, so no, he shouldn't be allowed to work with things he can steal again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think it's part of the principle of English law that the Law should take place in public. A few hundred years ago this extended to executing sentences in public too.

It's worth pointing out that English law also allows some convictions to become "spent", which reduces the effects you have described. Depending on the length of sentence, after some time you no longer have to disclose convictions when, for example, applying for job interviews. This extends even as far as the libel laws. Referring to someone's spent conviction can count as libel, and land you with a hefty bill (the truth is NOT an absolute defence to libel in England & Wales.)

I'm pretty sure that a 20-month sentence will become eligible for this. As long as the criminal does not commit any more crimes. So as long as you stay on the right side of the law, past crimes do not have to follow you around for ever.

This was also part of the fight with Google over right to be forgotten. I think most of those cases in the UK centre around old convictions.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

The last public execution in Great Britain occurred in 1868. Michael Barrett was executed at Newgate Prison for mass murder.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020