back to article Are you having a hard time following what Microsoft is trying to do with .NET 5.0? You're not the only one

Microsoft kicked off Preview 5 of its open-source framework with an admission that describing the bigger picture can prove tricky, even for its own staffers. .NET 5.0 is the next major release of Microsoft's cross-platform, open-source framework, which was teased at 2019's Build conference before it landed into the hands of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can help.

Here's the current tech stack from high-level to low-level. There is a separate implementation of a scroll bar in every level, except the BIOS.

.net 5.0

.net 5.1

.net 4

.net 3

.net 8

C++ForC++

C++BindingLayer 5.8

GNU/StdC++ 6.0

Common/Net

Net/CommonRuntime++

Common/Runtime/Net 8.0

Uncommon/Net

.Net

.NetNet++

WPS 6.5

WPS 9.8++

Com++

Com+

JavaForNet

NetForWPS

WPSForJava++

Net/Java/Common/Runtime/CLR++

CLR/Net/WPS++

CLRForNet

WindowsFoundationAPI

WindowsOpenFoundationAPI++

COM++

Foundation/COM 3.0

COMFoundationComponentsForWPF++

WPFFoundationComponentsForCOM 4.0

WPFFoundationComponentsForCOM 3.1

WPFFoundationComponentsForCOM 6

WindowsFoundation

WindowsKernelFoundation

Wow64

Win32

Win16

TeamsFoundation++

MSDOSForLinux.

Linux.

BIOS.

.net 5

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can help.

Thanks... yes, that was helpful!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Stop Press! Linux nerds confused by Windows tech

Next exclusive, bear shits in woods.

1. Robert Grant Silver badge

Re: Stop Press! Linux nerds confused by Windows tech

Calling people who don't understand a language runtime "nerds" is the world's dumbest insult.

2. Teiwaz Silver badge

Re: Stop Press! Linux nerds confused by Windows tech

It's not so much 'confused' as aghast.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I found this funnier than is reasonable, although that may be due to the unreasonable hour at which I find myself awake. I think there must be a layer or two missing, however, because it's impossible that the Microsoft tech stack would not include some kind of hideous mandatory Exchange/Sharepoint integration layer.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

No extension to DNS either

2. Robert Grant Silver badge

.NET 6: "Just as in Unix everything is a file, in our new edition of .NET everything is a Sharepoint Document."

1. Someone Else Silver badge
          Coffee/keyboard

Stop it, Dammit! - - ->

3. Jon 37

The BIOS has a separate implementation of a scroll bar, too. (Possibly text mode).

4. Rich 2 Silver badge

Errr, what actually IS .NET? (any version)

2. steamnut

kill the beast...

"Single file apps remain an ambition" - is that with, or without, the gargantuan over-bloated monolith called .Net? The many, often and massive, .NET upgrades convinced me a long time ago that .NET is not for me. As it gets ever larger, the number of potential CVE's grows.

How many of us have downloaded a small Windoze app only to be told that it needs a certain version of .NET and then you wait for a 400Mb+ download to finish before you can continue. for those of us in rural areas served by slow broadband speeds it is no joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: kill the beast...

Teams.

Ugh.

2. J.Teodor

Yeah, that means that someone was dumb enough to download the full dev bundle instead of client profile of 10..50MB - https://www.hanselman.com/blog/SmallestDotNetOnTheSizeOfTheNETFramework.aspx

1. Maventi

Agreed, that happens much too often. In a similar vein I've lost count of the number of times I've had apps install a JDK instead of JRE as well.

2. Tessier-Ashpool

Wasn’t the client profile option killed off years ago? I might be talking out of my arse - wouldn’t be the first time - but it wasn’t listed as a dependency option the last time I checked. I guess most people don’t live at the end of a 14kb/s modem any more, so Microsoft figure a few hundred megabytes here and there doesn’t make much odds.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"Single file apps remain an ambition"

"is that with, or without, the gargantuan over-bloated monolith called .Net?"

"with" of course. But if I build an application WITHOUT .NET I can usually static-link EVERYTHING and ship it as a single binary ".EXE" file (for windows that is; Linux/BSD usually get to be open build-from-source). Though in some cases I might have to jump through some configuration hoops to get there.

NOTE: wxWidgets works well for cross-platform. It's similar to MFC.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

wxWidgets works well for cross-platform. It's similar to MFC.

<retch> Anything similar to MFC. </retch>

You want cross-platform widgets (and a corresponding framework)? Qt FTW.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020