back to article Red Hot Chili Packets! New submarine cable to land in home of cult Sriracha sauce

A consortium of big name Asian tech companies have unveiled plans to build a new submarine cable across seven countries in the region. The 9,400km long cable will carry 140Tbps of traffic and land at seven stations, including Japan, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, the Philippines, and in Si Racha (ศรีราชา), Thailand, …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Dapprman

Re: Sririacha sauce is Californian

He claims he invented the sauce, despite it existing in and around Sririacha since before the imperial powers became involved in his home country - which was Vietnam so not even close to where the sauce came from.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. jake Silver badge

Sriracha is considered to be a generic term for this style of sauce.

Rooster brand sriracha sauce was indeed invented in California ... but it's a Californian take on a Thai condiment made by a Chinese dude who was born in Vietnam. It's a hair on the sweet & mild side for my taste, but I always have it on hand for folks who like it.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"It's a hair on the sweet & mild side for my taste,"

Not knowing the history and having only relatively recently run across it I found the same thing - certainly nothing like the fireball it was being painted up to be.

I'll stick to my caribbean pepper sauce depth charges (they go off in your stomach, not your mouth)

1. jake Silver badge

Want to make your own? No cooking required. Vinegar of choice (white works), chilis of choice (mix and match ... surprise yourself!), pinch of salt and sugar. Blend until smooth, eat immediately or store in fridge for up to ... well, I don't know how long, it always gets eaten before it goes off (it's acidic enough to be fridge stable, though). Shred some carrot into the mix before blending to add colo(u)r, sweetness, and to mellow out the heat (if needed/wanted).

Force multiplier, threat deterrent or delightful condiment? You decide.

2. HildyJ Silver badge
    Angel

Transpacific

They obviously need a cable connection to Tabasco, Mexico.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Transpacific

Avery Island, Louisiana might make more sense. The chili in question originated in one, the sauce in the other.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

If you want hot cable packets, then it needs to land in La Havana (Habanaro) - but the USA might object

1. jake Silver badge

Habaneros aren't really all that hot, most cultivars run 100K SHU or so (they can be hotter, yes, but you probably won't find 'em hotter unless you grow 'em yourself) ... that's only around twice as hot as thai birds, cayennes and de arbols, and barely four times as hot as serranos.

Perhaps it should land somewhere in the Carolinas ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021