back to article Civica bags £25m deal to handle web portal for UK National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme

IT services outfit Civica has bagged a £25m contract to provide a managed service to support bespoke software and data integration for the UK National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme (NDORS). Run by the UKROEd (UK Road Offender Education) nonprofit, the scheme aims to retrain drivers found guilty of common traffic offences. …

1. OssianScotland

Well, at least it's not Crapita!

But still, what could possibly go wrong?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Have you used Civics payment websites?

It like something defined in Frontpage 2000.

A real design nightmare.

1. Stephen Wilkinson

Falls over and fails payments all the time too. Absolute POS

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"behavioural change education"

Uncle Joe, Mao, Tito, Pol Pot, etc. must be so proud that UK plod have seen fit to appropriate their methods in these troubling times.

And before the "Brake" supporters chime in the UK has the 3rd lowest number of casualties per 1M pop. in the world, below only Norway and Switzerland

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "behavioural change education"

Despite that, the most likely way to meet a violent death in the UK is in a traffic collision.

2. Santa from Exeter

@AC #1. What a pile of crap! Have you ever had any experience with one of these courses? Trying to equate it to totalitarian regimes isn't just a stretch, it a break. The courses aren't run by the coppers (as you would be aware if you RTFA) you just get a chance to go on one if you get nicked for speeding instead of getting a fine and points on your licence. The points don't magically vanish as, if you are done again in the next 2 years, you get them anyway.

1. not.known@this.address

Santa from Exeter said "The points don't magically vanish as, if you are done again in the next 2 years, you get them anyway."

So DON'T SPEED THEN! It's not exactly rocket science - don't break the law, don't get sent on a Law-breakers' re-education course. Although, since it doesn't seem to have sunk in when you were learning to drive, it isn't really RE-education at all.

Having witnessed the carnage some of these accidents cause, I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who goes on these courses. I have even less sympathy for anyone who "qualifies" for more than one.

(I'm not sure if Santa is trying to defend speeders or not. Encouraging idiots to break the law on a public forum - even one as anarchic and free-thinking as El Reg - isn't really a good idea, is it?)

1. Mooseman Silver badge

The "training" courses are limited to those that marginally break the speed limit. The high speed lunatics are fined etc in the usual way. I was sent on one for being 3 mph over the speed limit as I accelerated out of a village, and found the course very enlightening, although not in the way the course provider expected perhaps - it covered very basic road awareness, signage, speed limits where there are no visible signs, etc. What I found amazing was the number of people on the course (mostly those who had not long passed their tests) who had no clue about 90% of the material covered.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like