back to article Microsoft and VMware end ancient grudge with new VM privilege workaround

Microsoft and VMware have ended an ancient grudge that made the latter's Workstation desktop hypervisor behave badly on Windows. As explained by Zongmin, product manager for VMware Workstation, Fusion and the vSphere remote console: "Since the introduction of Hyper-V, including Credential Guard and Device Guard, enabling any …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

In the end, isn't that better for security ?

The Workstation VM manager now runs at user level, and VMware no longer has "direct access to the CPU".

Shouldn't that mean that, in case a VM sandbox is breached by malware, that malware will have less opportunity to muck things up ?

Seems like a good thing to me.

2. Candy

FYI: Requires the latest release of Windows

15.5.5 seems to need Vibranium/May 2020 Update/20H1/2004 or whatever naming hell they settle on will be. It craps out on any lesser version.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FYI: Requires the latest release of Windows

Re: Win10, this is not accurate, 15.5.5 runs perfectly on Windows 7. Do not haste on upgrading yet though, there are some issues that need to be ironed out regarding the enhanced keyboard driver (see Workstation forum).

1. Candy

Re: FYI: Requires the latest release of Windows

To be more precise: It won't run on Win 10 1909 but will on Win 10 2004. I like my OS to be in support... :)

3. Michael Hoffmann
    Thumb Down

Slow as molasses

IIUC if Hyper-V is turned on, then Workstation will use the HV hypervisor instead.

I now upgraded and am looking at my VMs with dismay. Watching screen refreshes is like continental drift. Tested with CentOS 7, CentOS 8, Catalina Hackintosh and Windows 7 VMs. It's like my CPU was converted into a Pentium 90 and my GPU is... gone.

I'll give a pass on the Hackintosh, it's not supported after all, but the others?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slow as molasses

That's very surprising. Running Workstation on top of Hyper-V will be a little slower as Workstation is running in the Windows root partition which is itself a VM but it should be quite a bit faster than molasses. What CPU are you using?

4. G Olson

Not just for developers

Developers are the only people to use Workstation. The console connection to vCenter has better resolution and responsiveness than the web console in vCenter.

5. Kingneutron

Vmware has been better on Linux for years

If you want stability, you either run ESXI on bare metal, or Vmware on a Linux-based host. And even after this, you will probably see slowdowns if Vmware is forced into a subservient role under Hyper-V.

Personally, I stopped using Vmware Workstation years ago after I found out they FIRED THEIR ENTIRE WORKSTATION TEAM - the people who built the company and helped make it a success(!) -- and then outsourced development for it! Switched to Virtualbox and haven't looked back, except for one Player install on Linux. And I was a decent Workstation evangelist, active on their forums and providing assistance.

https://www.theregister.com/2016/01/27/vmware_fusion_and_workstation_development_team_fired/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021