back to article Consumer hardware shipments forecast to drop 14% for 2020, but hey, it could be worse, says Gartner

IT number-cruncher-in-chief Gartner has predicted a sharp fall in the sales of personal hardware during 2020. Although the drop has been somewhat mitigated by businesses and individuals buying up laptops to aid working from home, the research house still said that shipments of all personal devices – a category that includes …

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

people are hanging on to phones for longer

That's no surprise. Like with PCs and laptops, the market is now mature and the new devices are not significantly better than the older devices, year on years.

Average lifiecycle of PCs and laptops went from 3 to 5 years nearly 10 years ago. Now the same is happening with phones. The big boys will have to learn to cope with the "new normal" 9see what I did there?) or the new names in the market building cheaper kit will eat their lunch.

1. EnviableOne Silver badge

Re: people are hanging on to phones for longer

The fact flagship phones used to be 200-300 $MoneyUnits and are now 1000+ $MoneyUnits

its got to weigh heavily on the longer re-fresh cycles

Either they need a step change in the technology, or a significant price correction, or the market will stagnate

2. DJV Silver badge

"IT number-cruncher-in-chief Gartner has predicted a sharp fall in the sales of personal hardware during 2020"

Well, thank goodness for that. We all know that whenever Gartner predicts something, the exact opposite happens!

3. james7byrne

Made in China

I have stopped buying electronics in general because everything is made in china. If they won't build electronics in the US all I can do is stop buying. My TV is over 10 years old, my iphone 6 is over six years old, my macbook pro is 7 years old, and on and on. I only replace electronics when the die. I now spend my money at local restaurants, golf courses, garden center, and other places that keep money in my local economy. Everyone worldwide should do this. Stop the elites from giving away your jobs to China, keep your local economy strong!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021