back to article India’s contact-tracing app unleashes KaiOS on feature phones

India has delivered on its promise to adapt its Aarogya Setu contact-tracing app for feature phones. A Sunday Tweet confirmed the app’s existence and that it runs on phones from Jio, the nation’s largest mobile carrier. Aarogya Setu App is now available on KaiOS platform. More than 55 million users on Jio phones can now …

1. Mr. Balise

Open Source ..

KaiOS app for tracing really ought to be open source .. to be trustworthy.

2. Louis Schreurs Bronze badge

And here I sit, just having thought KaiOS was just a Regism.........

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Just in case you're serious, three of these phones run KaiOS and are available worldwide, not just in India.

M.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So they ported an app to a feature phone

Impressive. Now, how do the feature phone owners go about getting it ? They can't navigate to a web site or portal, so are the phone companies going to beam it to them as an update ?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

"the Android paired bluetooth device has to be completely reset before it can pair with Android again"

Apple uses something called MFi for "legacy" bluetooth (i.e. NOT 'BTLE'). Apparently this is messing with the base processor for some reason...

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Pirate

making use mandatory is unreasonable

(title quoted from article)

I agree 100% with this statement (from the article). And if it has demonstrable security issues, they should DEFINITELY be published [and then fixed].

(oops that battery JUST keeps falling out! So much for 'mandatory'...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020