back to article Meet Morpheus, the AI that'll show you how deep the universe's rabbit hole goes: Code can detect, classify galaxies from 'scope scans

Astrophysicists have developed AI software to help scientists automatically detect and describe galaxies snapped by telescopes surveying the distant sky. The program, known as Morpheus, was built over a two-year period by a computer scientist and an astrophysicist at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Morpheus employs …

1. Chris G Silver badge

Does that mean the data that is left over and not categorised will be where humans can look for new and/or unusual types of object?

1. tony2heads
      WTF?

unusual types of object

I think any automated system needs a "WTF?" filter to request further data

2. jake Silver badge

"Humans won’t be able to manually look through each image, anyway. “There are some things we simply cannot do as humans, so we have to find ways to use computers to deal with the huge amount of data that will be coming in over the next few years from large astronomical survey projects," said Robertson."

Just spread the rumo(u)r that you are actually looking for pictures of giant alien females with blue boobies sunbathing nekkid ... the 14 year old boys of the world will have all your pictures scanned & catalogued over a three day weekend.

3. Mark192

“When expert astronomers agree on the galaxy classification, Morpheus is 82 to 98 per cent accurate depending on the class of object,"

Some room for improvement there but what really struck me was expert astronomers not agreeing :-)

I'm assuming funny angles, blurry images and low resolution all mean 100% accuracy ain't gonna happen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020