back to article Colombian tech minister quits, heads off to overseas job as aborted .co contract sale triggers in-depth probe

Colombia’s startup-friendly .co has erupted in controversy again following the resignation of the government minister responsible for putting the domain registry out for tender last year. Technology minister Sylvia Constaín left her post last week, stating she had accepted a job outside the country and thought to be in America …

1. oiseau Silver badge
    Facepalm

No doubt a given

Technology minister Sylvia Constaín left her post last week, stating she had accepted a job outside the country and thought to be in America.

As is evident, these shenanigans (to avoid saying something nasty) are rampant these days.

This Colombian techmin lady probably took her cue and followed the example of from chaps at Ethos Capital, the oxymoron company we still know precious little about.

One thing we can most probably say is a a given is that her new (and well remunerated) post will be with US-based Afilias or one of its er ... affiliates.

O.

2. Conscious and verbal

How about El Reg allowing us to +1 the article and not just the comments? Great article!

+1 to the article

3. ratfox Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

How to fix this?

Arguably, the vast majority of users never even type a URL, so you could say that it doesn't even matter which TLD you are using. People Google for facebook instead of typing fb.com. On the other hand, I do know that El Reg's website ends with .co.uk, and I can therefore trust that I am on the right website... Though that logic is full of issues, starting with lookalike unicode characters used to write stuff like "tнеrеgɪѕtеr.сo.uk".

So, maybe the whole thing ought to get revisited, and companies should just register a domain name under the cheapest TLD available...?

4. The Nazz Silver badge

Just out of curiousity .....

Does Columbia have an extradition treaty with the USA?

Not saying one is needed but you never know.

1. oiseau Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Just out of curiousity .....

Hmm ...

I don't know about Columbia ...

But it would seem that Colombia does.

Cheers,

O.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020