back to article Caltech to Apple, Broadcom: You know that $1.1bn you owe for ripping off Wi-Fi patents? Double it, hotshots

Months after they were found to have ripped off The California Institute of Technology's Wi-Fi patents, Apple and Broadcom remain locked in a legal battle over a damages bill running potentially to billions of dollars. The latest arguments are not over the patent infringement itself – a war the American university won in …

1. Brian Miller Silver badge

Reinstate the Xerox lawsuit

If the Xerox lawsuit was reinstated by presidential fiat, then Apple would really have something to worry about! But this is how much of iPhone sales?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Reinstate the Xerox lawsuit

If what Apple copied from Xerox were protected by copyrights or patents then the same would be true of what Microsoft copied from Apple. Apple make a huge profit from the scenario and lawyers would have have to bid high on their third holiday homes because of the competition from other lawyers.

2. HildyJ Silver badge
    Pint

Apple? Broadcom? Being jerks? Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Go Beavers! [Their school sports name for reasons I won't speculate on.]

1. HunterofSnarks

Re: Apple? Broadcom? Being jerks? Inconceivable!

Nature's engineers (the dams and all that)

Awarding the Beaver of the Week for the football (real football, not American) team was the highlight (and sum total) of my journalistic career.

-- Beaver emeritus

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Neoc

Unsurprisingly.... while I am unfamiliar with this particular case, I have no problem believing Apple capable of these delay and frustration tactics. I also love the fact they back-handed the courts and the judge by qualifying the case's result as "ill-founded".

Yep, typical Apple-in-court behaviour. Bad-mouth everyone, delay as much as possible, hope they opposition goes away or runs out of money for their lawyer.

1. robidy Silver badge

Quite, Apple have a track record of this, only last week in another decade long case...they also lost.

1. JetSetJim Silver badge

I do believe they like to obstruct anything that reduces their profit, the engineer taking his time responding could quite easily be the engineer making sure his answer is clear and correct before giving it - particularly on technical issues

2. Outski

"delay as much as possible"

Yes, I read three million pages submitted and thought, ah, the old bury them in evidence tactic. The shits...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If they could get away with it, the following would happen:

"Provide X email/document/voicemail"

"Here's every single packet that we recorded when that email/document/voicemail was stored on the server that caught fire in the unfortunate cleaning incident. We only have it in binary format, hand written cursive, on microfiche."

They just want to see how long it runs.

5. Tromos

With billions at stake...

...the lawyers will drag it out until their fees reduce what's left to the price of a Big Mac (plus fries if you're lucky).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020