back to article $31bn spent on cloudy infrastructure in Q1 on back of employees' mass migration to home working

Cloud infrastructure providers are making bank following the mass migration of millions of workers from their offices to their homes, with spending on services leaping by 34.5 per cent in Q1 to $31bn. A surge in the use of online collaboration tools, e-commerce and consumer cloud services fuelled the hike, though another …

1. FrenchFries!

Dude, where's my (car)dware?

Microsoft totally undercut my company's Azure subscription. The fact that CSPs "have" your data adds an element of suckiness when they don't provide you with the physical hardware SKUs you need to run your biz critical apps. One of the reasons I liked having my datacenter on-prem was the fact that I had an inventory of cold-standby physical servers that I could turn up and use faster than waiting for Microsoft to source more gear from whoever they buy from. Real eye opener for me to stay on-prem with capital I can depreciate than throwing (wasted) money at a problem I can't solve independent of the cloud.

1. robidy

Re: Dude, where's my (car)dware?

In other news almost everyone else is going cloud to escape managing hardware, OS, applications, infrastructure :)

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>n other news almost everyone else is going cloud to escape managing hardware, OS, applications, infrastructure...

Yes and as the original commenter said - all works well until it all goes titsup and you need to either restore your IT ahead of the scheduled priority your cloud provider has assigned to restoring the systems hosting your load or you wish move away from that provider.

Everyone tends to assume that once you move something into the cloud, DR/business continuity, data backup and archive etc. are solved problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Having a load of cold standby servers on-prem? Either a really small IT estate or they're wasting a ton of cash they could be actually investing on growing their business.

How much time do you waste making sure your cold servers are working (physically), patched, etc?

Do you keep separate data centres for your cold standby kit? If not, what happens if you have a power problem? Just a few bigger picture thoughts...

2. Peter-Waterman1

“ One of the reasons I liked having my datacenter on-prem was the fact that I had an inventory of cold-standby physical servers that I could turn up and use“

This right here is why people use cloud (well AWS, Google who seam to be stable) Absolutely a waist of money to have hardware waiting about for a rainy day.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

well, did SOME good come out of this?

"Work at home" is awesome for those who can do it. I normally do this, lately about 50/50 on site or at home when I can bring the equipment home, etc.. - except when my CUSTOMERS can't work because THEIR customers can't work, etc. etc. so we're all furloughed until "those exercising their newly found power" STOP the nonsense.

In any case, the 'work from home' thing is GREAT and if cloudy services can make it happen BETTER, then everyone who currently switched to a work-from-home status and got used to it is PROBABLY NOT going to want to go back [unless there's some compelling need]. Not everyone CAN do this, but in the IT world, it seems very likely.

And I'd guess that cloudy-things would make this easier. I've been doing github for a while now, so that I can make source consistent in multiple places via private repos. [in theory it would help with collabs but as things turn out I'm often the only one doing the actual work at this level, but I still make heavy use of it, go fig]. Some people ALSO like google docs in addition to things like github [though editing these docs over the internet STINKS for performance].

And as WAY more people try to make use of these 'cloudy' things to facilitate work-from-home, the complaints about sucky performance will [hopefully] drive innovation and competition and so on.

So yeah, it COULD become the new "virtual workspace" we'd all (most likely) like to see. Commute from bedroom to office every day. Walk the dog for exercise during lunch or while you're "thinking about it". That kind of thing. My normal day, most of the time.

And we'll get to teach small children what "Daddy's working" means.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like