back to article Singapore's corona-crushing superhero squad grounded by football fans

Singapore has grounded a superhero squad intended to educate its population about staying safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, in part because the Lycra-clad creations offended fans of Liverpool Football Club. The superheroes were collectively known as the "Virus Vanguard" and comprised: Circuit Breaker – a reference to the …

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

Are you sure it's not the US?

Thinking that MAWA means "Make America Weak Again"?

I'm sure there are other W words that could fit in there, but I'm too polite to type them out!

I'm sure the commentards will have great fun coming up with plenty of alternatives.

1. Havin_it

Re: Are you sure it's not the US?

Actually, You'll Never Wa*k Alone is pretty apposite for the intolerable predicament lockdown has put a lot of us in.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

> I'm sure there are other W words that could fit in there, but I'm too polite to type them out!

Make America Dubya Again?

3. big_D Silver badge

I'm a supporter of MALS, John Cadogan's "presidential" campaign to "Make Austraaaaaaliaaa Less Shit"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In these times, I have to admit that little as the Australian car industry interests me, Cadogan's videos provide light relief along with correct engineering. Isolation is really showing us who can put on a performance with nothing but a decent camera and mike and home video software, and which famous and well paid names look very exposed without all the studio backup.

1. big_D Silver badge

I live in Europe, but I've been watching his channel for a couple of years.

I miss his Friday Nut Fest, with the cock of the week winning the Big King Dick... He is very funny, very irreverent but also very informative and quite a clever chap.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just another demonstation that football fans....

... have a ball full of air inside the head.

Please, let football match start again, let the virus perform its Darwinian task. Just, keep 'em all inside football fields to avoid contacts with others.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

A comic book is only as good as it's villian...

Might I suggest "Commisar Corona"--a rogue communist party official from an unnamed Asian nation, bent on spreading fear and sickness across the globe.

4. big_D Silver badge

You'll never walk alone...

Rodgers and Hammerstein’s tune “You’ll never walk alone”, has long been Liverpool football club’s anthem

Also for BVB (Borussia Dortmund), one of the reasons that Klopp transfered to Liverpool.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: You'll never walk alone...

Don't care who wrote it or which football clubs espouse it, that song is maudlin trash.

5. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Facepalm

change.org petition found 900 Liverpool fans willing to sign up

Oh FFS! Proof positive that some idiots really have nothing better to do than get offended by things that aren't actually anything to do with them.

So some Asian comic character has an ethos that's vaguely yet not at all like your favourite pitch anthem. It's not about you. It's not about your club. It's not taking the piss out of "your" song. Get over it you twats!

1. ssharwood

Re: change.org petition found 900 Liverpool fans willing to sign up

In their defence, they may have SFA else to do

2. TheProf
      Happy

"Oh FFS! Proof positive that some idiots really have nothing better to do than get offended by things that aren't actually anything to do with them.

So some Asian comic character has an ethos that's vaguely yet not at all like your favourite pitch anthem. It's not about you. It's not about your club. It's not taking the piss out of "your" song. Get over it you twats!"

Wow! You really got hot under the collar about something that has nothing to do with you.

Cheer up, it's not the end of the world.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well I'll forgive you for not seeing it, because El Reg's image is so tiny and pixellated, but "MAWA Man"'s torso has a huge Liverpool FC logo with a line through it. So it is very much explicitly referencing the Football club, and is very much explicitly referencing the song.

I'm sure you'd be just as incensed if a superhero bore a crossed-out vulture logo, and was named "Never bite the hand that feeds IT" Man!

Okay, maybe not quite so incensed, but still, down with NBTHTFIT Man!

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: change.org petition found 900 Liverpool fans willing to sign up

I've moved the picture into the main part of the article - it's now clickable.

C.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Down with this sort of thing!

6. John Savard

Outrageous

I think it's highly regrettable that a great song by Rodgers and Hammerstein is prevented from helping humanity by making coronavirus information more accessible due to utterly trivial and irrelevant considerations like this.

7. hoola Silver badge

Stupid

This happens more and more frequently with some group (or company) offended by something. It is just another sign of the drivel the Social Media leads to.

8. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    WTF?

The scary thing about this note, that nobody seems to mention, is that an online petition had an tangible effect.

Strange times indeed...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like