back to article Who can we count on to slow Huawei's continuous growth? US prez Donald Trump and COVID-19

Huawei has posted its lowest revenue growth in years – the result of a once-in-a-century global pandemic, as well as a campaign by President Trump to sow seeds of fear, uncertainty and doubt about the Chinese biz. The privately owned tech monster today reported calendar Q1 2020 results, which show revenue growing a mere 1.4 …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Comparison?

How well are the competition doing though?

With Trump & Co. still apparently on a suicide mission, what's America's financial state looking like?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Comparison?

Honestly, I think that essentially the entire trade regulation is to make Apple and Cisco look good and as such reveals how dishonest American government and capitalism has become by erecting a "China... Bad" marquee.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: With Trump & Co. still apparently on a suicide mission

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52363769

Trump it telling anyone who will listen that

- People love him

- He's on course for a Landslide in November.

The rest of the world really hope that he'd talking out of his backside as normal.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>He's on course for a Landslide in November.

Sadly probably true.

No campaign rallies, no big convention events, no tours of roadside diners in Iowa

Trump is on TV for hours everyday while his opponent 'whats-his-name' gets a paragraph in the Washington Post politics section once a week.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

> Trump is on TV for hours everyday while his opponent 'whats-his-name' gets a paragraph in the Washington Post politics section once a week.

It doesn't help that the democrats are so unorganized, they couldn't arrange a piss-up in a brewery, at a time when they need to pull together and defeat a common enemy.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

The Romans?

2. First Light

Sadly, I believe the DNC is organized and successful - their boy Biden got the nom. IMO he's a terrible candidate, and I will struggle to vote for him in November, although knowing I MUST. I resent being put in this position by Establishment Dems who don't get what's going on. Bernie or Warren were my choices, preferably together on the ticket.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Given the appalling turnout of US presidential elections, whoever is best able to get the vote out will win. Will be harder for the orange one this year. But anyone who really thinks they know this far out, is taking the wrong pills. A lot of things can and will happen between now and November and any of them could decide the election.

>whoever is best able to get the vote out will win

Not getting the vote out benefits the Republicans.

So if you were a totally unscrupulous incumbent you could arrange that mail-in votes were allowed for old people (covid safety) while requiring spacing in queues and only one voter at a time in NY/Ca and any cities with lots of black people.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"A lot of things can and will happen between now and November and any of them could decide the election."

Looking at the pressure being put on the Governors by Trump to open up again, I'm guessing a second wave of COVID-19 and another steep increase in infections, hospitalizations and deaths.

I really hope it doesn't happen, but I suspect I'm going to be proved right.

> I'm guessing a second wave of COVID-19 ... increase in infections, hospitalizations and deaths.

Don't we have a national stockpile of "thoughts and prayers" to send out ?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Not sure about about a second wave given how low infections are in some states, it will just continue. Even so, the total deaths are likely to be close to that a of a heavy flu pandemic (we have these regularly) but they're heavily skewed with the elderly and especially the poor over-represented.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Since I posted, the US CDC are talking about a second wave this coming winter combined with the "usual" winter flu season. I've not seen any science behind that prediction, but I assume they have done some.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I can only assume that the downvoter is one of those who thinks the whole pandemic is fake news since there was nothing factually incorrect in my comment.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I can't help feeling that as soon as Trump steps down Huawei will hit him with a massive civil claim in the jurisdiction of their choice.

That does pre-suppose something...

Also betting that just before he leaves office all the Trump empire gets sold to some sucker - otherwise there are going to be a lot of nations gunning for it once its CEO no longer has a Navy

3. IGotOut Silver badge

People forget.

about the huge Asian, African and South American markets, many of whom are not exactly Trump / US fans.

1. _LC_
      Thumb Up

Re: People forget.

Feel free to add Europe to that list.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like