back to article 'Come 75,000 workers, join us!' says Amazon. Just don't dare complain about the boss or you're out on your ear

Amazon has fired another three employees who have been critical of the biz, including two tech workers in Seattle and a warehouse worker in Minnesota. All three have raised concerns about the working conditions at the online giant’s warehouses during the coronavirus outbreak. Two Seattle-based staff, Emily Cunningham and Maren …

1. demon driver

Meanwhile, in France

http://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20200414-amazon-france-must-limit-shipments-until-it-can-protect-employees-health-court

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52285301

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4/75000 = 0.00005 = 0.005%

Not exactly a stampede.

Ok snowflakes, down vote me.

1. Hollerithevo

Re: 4/75000 = 0.00005 = 0.005%

In 1770, there were 2.5 million people in the American Colonies. 5 died in the Boston Massacre. Not exactly a significant number of deaths. Not exactly a massacre. Ok patriots, down vote me

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC - Re: 4/75000 = 0.00005 = 0.005%

Nice try, AC! I still down-voted you. Wholeheartedly!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 4/75000 = 0.00005 = 0.005%

Since you asked, I downvoted! Wouldn't want to hurt your little feelings by not agreeing to your request, you must be craving for any sort of recognition hard to be begging like that.

3. Brian Miller

Highest turnover in the industry

And what do you expect, employee retention? Amazon is one of the best places to quit!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Highest turnover in the industry

Amazon is one of the best places not to work for in the first place.

1. a pressbutton

Do not worry.

Due to amazon's relentless competitive skills, in a few years time you will either be working for amazon or a place just like it.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

But brought up to early 21st century standards where no one person is stamping, just a lot of people making up rules and following them, who all think they are doing the right thing.

(which, on reflection, was one of the points of the book)

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
          Coat

"[I] a few years time you will either be working for amazon or a place just like it."

By then they'll have merged with Walmart, rebranded itself as Buy-N-Large, and start rolling out the WALL-Es.

(Joke aside, having one global megacorp like BnL is what we need to keep Amazon, Walmart, etc. from becoming.)

1. a pressbutton

Phol & Kornbluth - the space merchants

There was a duopoly - Universal products and Starzelius

Published in 1950s

Described a future that was not bright.

4. not.known@this.address

Been on the cards since they renamed the Personnel Department...

You wouldn't now be known as 'Human Resources' if you weren't meant to be strip-mined.

[sorry, can't link to the relevant strip at freefall.purrisa.com from my work computer - ICT seem to think it's not a work-essential site! :-( ]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Been on the cards since they renamed the Personnel Department...

Yes, that author has some seriously good philosophical ideas embedded in the strip - it keeps surprising me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like