back to article Taiwan may turn traffic advice app into massive tracking system

Taiwan has floated the idea of adapting its traffic-monitoring app into a “don’t-go-there-you-won’t-be-able-to-social-distance-app.” The app is called “Freeway 1968” and its primary purpose is offering advice about traffic congestion. But the Taiwanese government wants to adapt it for other purposes after striking problems …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Big data analysis

Or just mark the beach as off limits?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Isn't Taiwan done with the bug ?

I thought Taiwan had the situation under control. It might not be the ideal time to have crowds again, but given the stellar example that Taiwan has set in testing for and giving proper care to infected individuals, I'm supposing they don't have much to fear now.

And they'll have to start living normally again some day. We're not going to become shut-ins just for the sake of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Isn't Taiwan done with the bug ?

I thought Taiwan had the situation under control. It might not be the ideal time to have crowds again, but given the stellar example that Taiwan has set in testing for and giving proper care to infected individuals, I'm supposing they don't have much to fear now.

True. And that's why they're not taking their eye off the ball just yet. They may be past the worst, but if they let their guard down too soon the consequences could be devastating...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Isn't Taiwan done with the bug ?

There is no done with the bug until between 60% and 80% of the population have caught it, and have developed immunity. The only variable is over what period of time this over, and what rate of mortality is considered acceptable.

3. Danny 2
    1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: de-anonymisation

Of course, it's the first thing that would occur to British ministers and civil servants. "Apple and Google have come up with this contact tracing framework that supposedly preserves privacy. How can we use it to de-anonymise people and the relationships between everyone for no specific reason other than the minister wakes up one day and deems it proportionate?"

And this, for puzzled overseas readers who occasionally ask here why people in the UK don't want ID cards, is why nobody trusts them.

1. Danny 2

Hiya Ol'55,

Glad to see you hale and hearty, one more Dan / Daniel / Danny.

My first love was Susan, I took great delight in telling there were no baby Susans registered here last year, but 180 baby Daniels - we are being replinished as we die but she might be the last of the Susans.

Oh shit, I've just danonymised us.

2. Danny Boyd

So for de-anonymisation the government will need the ID cards? Good thing ID cards are not here.

2. EnviableOne

without actually identifying the individuals, it relies on individuals to take heed of the notifications generated, which has mixed response.

from my understanding the app will log the BD_ADDR of any devices in close contact, and hold the contacts for 14 days, then if the app is set Tested positive, notify the devices that are in that list.

the problems come from identinfying how close the contact is and how to send that notification,

and the not unreasonable idea that google might use app_ids to track people.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Just have every device's Bluetooth system trigger an alert if any other Bluetooth device is detected.

5. sanmigueelbeer

China's new coronavirus cases rise to near six-week high

China's new coronavirus cases rise to near six-week high

There is a "trade" happening in the open stage right now: In January to February 2020, China has been cleaning out worldwide stocks of western-made, western-branded PPE (face masks/face shields, hand sanitizers, gloves, hazmat suits, etc) and in "return", China has been "donating" some of their "excess stocks" (aka items that even their own health care system won't use) to the world.

How China is losing the world’s trust following its cover-up of the coronavirus crisis

The article/editorial states: Across Europe, China’s attempts at “mask diplomacy” are backfiring, with reports of faulty or incorrect shipments of protective gear and test kits being cited in Spain and the Netherlands.

The latest "casualty" is MD of Finland's National Emergency Supply Agency has resigned after purchasing faulty face masks from China (article).

1. Danny Boyd

Re: China's new coronavirus cases rise to near six-week high

Never seen a box of masks made in USA or Europe. Have an old box of masks (don't remember why I bought it a while ago, but it shirley came handy now), it's made in China. So much for "cleaning out worldwide stocks of western-made PPE". I call BS.

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: China's new coronavirus cases rise to near six-week high

Never seen a box of masks made in USA or Europe. Have an old box of masks (don't remember why I bought it a while ago, but it shirley came handy now), it's made in China. So much for "cleaning out worldwide stocks of western-made PPE".

Kindly have a read at this: Trump administration weighs legal action over alleged Chinese hoarding of PPE where it states in the article:

Around the same time that China cracked down on PPE exports, official data posted online shows that it imported 2.46 billion pieces of “epidemic prevention and control materials” between Jan. 24 and Feb. 29, the White House official said.

The gear, valued at nearly $1.2 billion, included more than 2 billion masks and more than 25 million “protective clothing” items that came from countries in the European Union, as well as Australia, Brazil and Cambodia, the official said.

I have several boxes of P2/N95 face masks (3M and Honeywell) that was bought back in December 2019 due to the Australian bushfire. They were all made in the US.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like