back to article Linux kernel technical advisory board asks if any maintainers need coronavirus relief

Linus Torvalds’ has announced version 5.7rc1 of the Linux kernel, and a shout-out from the Linux kernel technical advisory board in case any maintainers have hit coronavirus-related complications. Torvalds' announcement of the new test released ended as follows: I did have a request from the kernel technical advisory board ( …

1. jake Silver badge

Molasses? In Mämmi?

My Great Grandmother's recipe[0] doesn't contain molasses, probably because there isn't a lot of sugarcane grown in Finland. The sweetener is malted rye. I think it's tasty, but then it's a treat from my childhood.

[0] Which may have been her Grandmother's recipe, the hand-written recipe book implies that most of them came from her.

1. NATTtrash
      Thumb Up

Re: Molasses? In Mämmi?

Hear, hear! Made it once or twice because my father loved it. But in our version too there is no molasses. AFAIK it is in the supermarket ready versions to sweeten it up. But not in the "this-is-as-your-nan-used-to-make-it" version...

Knowing a minor preference of the commentards here: there is also mämmi beer [1] [2].

1. jake Silver badge
        Pint

Make your own "mämmi beer" at home by simply throwing some orange rind into a traditional kalja ... I put the orange into a hops bag during the ferment. I've used both dried Seville rind and fresh rind from oranges grown here. Kalja is usually chilled before it is fully fermented out to keep it sweet and low in alcohol, but I prefer to let it fully ferment for a dry brew.

Here's a recipe+method that's close enough as makes no nevermind to how I do it ... except I use from 50/50 to all malted rye, and mill it as I would for any other all-grain beer. You can ask at your local homebrew shop for help/advice on the correct amount for the batch size you are brewing. I've used LRE (the rye version of LME) and it works, kinda, but the entire point of this exercise is the grain.

Note: Some recipes for kalja recipes call for white sugar. Resist the option and use an appropriate amount of grain instead. Chances are the owner of the above mentioned homebrew shop will offer hands-on help with this one, just out of curiosity. If you're not a homebrewer, most such shops are more than happy to help neophyte brewers learn the ropes. Ask questions. Squeaky wheel & all that.

It's an interesting, very old-school brew, not for everyone's palate.

1. jake Silver badge

The Daughter just called in to say I forgot the link. Oops. Here y'go ...

https://www.brewingnordic.com/2019/05/brewing-nordic-events-2019-and-a-recipe-for-kalja-taari/

2. Down not across

It's an interesting, very old-school brew, not for everyone's palate.

Traditional finnish homebrew is Sahti. Not sure how many people still use juniper branches for filtering. s for alcohol content, it can end up surprisngly high.

As for Mämmi, its utterly delicious.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"even more rubbery than it is naturally"

Sounds like something that should be included in spare tire kits for adventurers.

1. NATTtrash

Re: "even more rubbery than it is naturally"

Wait until you learn about its "laxative properties"...

2. jake Silver badge

Re: "even more rubbery than it is naturally"

No more so than any other high-calorie porridge-like food that packs away dry, and is easy to prepare in a hurry ("just add water + heat"). Note that while it definitely benefits from a five or seven day "cure", you can eat it as soon as it's prepared.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Memories of Edinburgh

This year's Linux Kernel Maintainers' Summit will either be in Halifax, Nova Scotia or virtually hosted. If the former, I hope Linus hasn't got relatives in Halifax, West Yorkshire.

The The Linux Kernel Maintainers' Summit 2020, Halifax, Nova Scotia

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/linux-kernel-maintainer-summit/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/07/maintainers_summit_scotland/

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Mämmi actually sounds delicious

I'd never hear of Mämmi and googled it. "Mämmi is traditionally made of water, rye flour, and powdered malted rye, seasoned salt, and dried powdered Seville orange zest.". That actually sounds pretty delicious.

1. Stork Silver badge

Re: Mämmi actually sounds delicious

It may just not be sweet enough for American taste?

1. jake Silver badge

The real thing is plenty sweet for the Finns who emigrated to America, but the Europeans (and their sweet tooth) seem to have corrupted it with Molasses. I'll bet the folks of British extraction heap white sugar on it, if they can get over the "not invented here" hurdle ...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

European sweet tooth? Two words: corn syrup

2. Santa from Exeter
          FAIL

Bet all you like about the sugar matey. Do you eat your porridge properly, with salt?

p.s. we also don't put Maple Syrup on bacon

2. Down not across

It is delicious. Might not look very appetising with cream/milk poured on it, but tastes divine.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft's developments have been severely impacted by viruses for years...

And yet they're still here. I wonder what they're doing so right?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like