back to article SAP hits back in Oracle cloud spat: I am rubber, you are glue, we have twice as many ERP installations as you

Death, taxes and vendor feuds seem the only certainties to which the disheartened technology careerist can cling in these troubled times. SAP co-CEO Christian Klein has claimed in an interview with the Cloud Wars blog that the company has twice as many ERP installations in the cloud than sworn rival Oracle. Klein also took …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Track record

Given the two combatants' track record, I can't help but wonder if "installations" means "successful installations" or "contracts for installations currently in progress"?

I have my suspicions.

2. Youngone Silver badge

Ex-Oracle

Oracle threatened the huge multinational company I work for with an audit, and we are now in the process of getting rid of them completely.

We're going to use SAP instead, so I am unsure if things will be better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ex-Oracle

SAP will just audit you vs threaten to audit you

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, had a couple of my customers audited by SAP - they are complete shits.

The line from SAP was that they wouldn't charge more than the customer could afford. That just means that they take everything the customer has.

First thing they do is to say how much it would have been, backdated plus and uplift for abusing licences. That's always way more than anyone would spend, but enough to scare. Then they say how generous they are by accepting just x%. Just don't forget the annual renewals - you'll only have 1 year to get out before the renewal hits. They you'll find you have to give 3 months notice.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I've been involved in several SAP audits at different clients and none of them were asked to pay more.

I'm not saying that SAP are saints but I found their conditions to be fairly clear so I was able to help keep my clients in conformity with their licenses.

SAP isn't cheap and they will always try and sell you more but the audits I was involved in were fair.

3. Giovani Tapini

Possible counter culture but...

If I'm going to the effort of uprooting an incumbent ERP to the cloud..with all the changes needed to your supplier and internal systems to enable it or indeed thoroughly break it. Why would I not think it's time to slay the beast and move to other, cheaper services over throwing myself into their pits of hell?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does SAP have a cloud (SaaS) ERP now?

5. PublicSectorNumpty

Hopefully they will destroy each other and the world will be a better place

6. techulture

Indeed I am curious in how to train "AI so that my supply chain is better at predicting demand" in light of black swan circumstances. Additionally, for many industry companies, for example vehicle manufacturers, it has rather been a challenge to predict supply ...

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Black Helicopters

How can you infuse AI so that my supply chain is better at predicting demand...

Seeing as you would need to know, in advance, which commodity the Russian bots are going to push as a rumoured shortage on Tw@ter to spark a stockpiling spree, I'm guessing you'd need the SAP Crystal Ball module?

Or advance notice from Mad Vlad of course...

8. arthoss

What leading triumvirate ?

Genuine question here...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What leading triumvirate ?

Amazon, Google, Microsoft, in no particular order

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like