back to article First it was toilet paper. Then pasta. Now Broadcom suspects hoarders are behind its surprisingly good-looking Q2 sales

Broadcom has told investors that its second quarter looks good, for reasons that may well be bad news in the longer term. The chips-and-software-slinger has popped out an 8-K filing in the US that starts with the good news that “the demand environment for our semiconductor products has been consistent with our current …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

All this prompts a slightly OT thought.

A commonly expressed view is that mobiles have been replacing PCs because "they can do everything people need". Suddenly working at home arrives and when real work is to be done laptops or even desktops are needed for Real Work. Could there be a shift back to PCs?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Linux

laptops for work-from-home - and Linux actually makes it EASIER... via ssh, ad-hoc tunnels, etc.. - at least in the I.T. world.

(on a linux desktop it would be *trivial* to run GUI X11 applications remotely, albeit a little slow/cumbersome - using ssh and the DISPLAY environment variable, and a properly configured desktop, and a simple ssh tunnel for the X11 traffic - been there, done that, works pretty well!)

more topic-relevant: broadcom-based devices like RPi being used as "the desktop" for remote access.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

DISPLAY environment variable

presumably you don't actually fiddle with that?

ssh -X ... (or -Y depending on which decade you're living in)

and all that!

Having said that I have been known to su and use xauth and fiddle with DISPLAY to transfer an X11 tunnel to another user...

2. Roger Kynaston Silver badge
      Happy

Roll on pocket PC

I look forward to the day when they can get similar levels of storage and such like into a mobile sized device. Then we can attach a proper screen and keyboard when needed and the days of the pocket PC will have arrived.

Will that lead to the discovery of bistromathics though?

1. aks

Re: Roll on pocket PC

how much storage do you want in your mobile? 256gb microsd cards are common enough nowadays.

my mobile has a separate very small box that allows the attachment of hdmi screen and usb for keyboard and mouse.

we're already living in your proposed future.

what we really need is the walnut-sized computer described in "Bill, The Galactic Hero" by Harry Harrison where the computer showed the screen on a convenient wall and a keyboard onto the desktop.

3. Marty McFly
      Holmes

Meh....

>"A commonly expressed view is that mobiles have been replacing PCs because "they can do everything people need"."

That's what you get for listening to the marketing drivel regurgitated by every mobile vendor.

The actual limiting factor is the human interface. I don't care what resolution it is, ultimately my eyes can only read a certain detail on a small mobile device screen. Same thing for the user interface. My fingers are a certain size, which is conducive to a keyboard. Sure, I can 'make-do' on a mobile's keyboard for a quick text. But if I am typing a comment on El Reg's web page, you bet it is coming from a usable interface.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh....

A friend's son settled down to WFH isolation with his laptop. After a few days he appealed for a decent sized monitor for the spreadsheets. He also reckoned being hunched over a laptop was unhealthy for his posture.

2. HildyJ Silver badge
    Devil

Hoarding

I'm going back to TP hoarding. When I tried to flush the used chips they clogged up my pipes.

3. cirby

I hoarded, sort of

Back in January, when I started to hear about the virus, I bought some extra parts, just in case.

That paid off, since I needed to replace one of the pieces I bought as a spare, and right now I'd either have to wait over a month, or pay $50 extra for one (that would still not show up for weeks).

4. e^iπ+1=0

Flushable?

If one has loads of BCM4702 in various old routers - are they flushable?

Asking for a friend.

5. mark l 2 Silver badge

If your phone supports Miracast or has displayport/HDMI output over USB-C then you can get your phone display on a big screen. With a USB or bluetooth keyboard and mouse you can get a just about usable desktop even on a mid range phone such as a Nokia 5.1 which i have tested it on with Miracast to a 42 inch TV.

You can even use Microsoft remote desktop app for Android if you need to run specific Windows applications as long as you have a remote Windows machine that you can connect to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021