back to article Automatic for the People: Pandemic-fueled rush to robo-moderation will be disastrous – there must be oversight

The Electronic Frontier Foundation on Thursday warned that the consequences of the novel coronavirus pandemic – staff cuts, budget cuts, and lack of access to on-site content review systems, among others – have led tech companies to focus even more resources on barely functional moderation systems. Technology platforms have …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

grep is cheap

> implementing these systems, inexpensive compared to salaried employees or underpaid contractors.

Yup. grep -f blacklisted_words text_to_moderate

what's not to like?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: grep is cheap

What's not to like?

What's not to like?

Like what's not to!?

What's not to like?!

(A usual AI response)

But yes, automation of a script of system is cheap and works well. AI on the other hand can get stuck in loops, make massive errors and cause lots of problems. There is a reason "AI" is doing in artistic and visual endeavours mainly, and in specific numerical search system, over functional, more complex problems.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

AI creating another Scunthorpe problem

Only much, much bigger, and nobody to notice.

Hmm?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: AI creating another Scunthorpe problem

I've left a couple of Facebook discussion groups due to a sudden upsurge in legitimate posts being blocked by automated moderation. On the plus side, I'm spending far less time on Facebook.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: AI creating another Scunthorpe problem

I realy don't see the problem.

Randy Lipshits

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: grep is cheap

I like to do things such as poking fun by using the 'F' word *FEEL* in place of a DIFFERENT 'F' word, and it's obvious to everyone what I really mean. So nanny-bots won't pick up on 'FEEL'. I've also seen 'onion' jokingly bot-swapped for the word 'soy' in one particular forum.

The obviousness is that bot-nanny-moderator-artificial-STUPIDITY ain't gonna work.

DARN that CRUD, *FEEL*ing mentally challenged "Twitterers" !!!

^^^ example

(and don't forget the spelling errors b0rking the filters)

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

The greatest danger

The greatest danger of using AI moderation is the inevitable homogenising effect - creation of an artificial consensus of acceptable content based on the majority of content. Ultimately, any submission that deviates from that norm could be filtered out, leading our thinking into lock step.

Furthermore, what that norm is will be entirely unpredictable in advance. A few automated trolls could easily drive it to extremes.

1. zuckzuckgo Bronze badge

Re: The greatest danger

AI powered search:

1) AI search engine learns which content is most favoured by web users and features that content.

2) Web user favour the easily found content most featured by the AI search engine.

3) Monetize

4) Repeat.

They are just giving the user what they want!

3. SVV Silver badge

Don't fear the robots

I f y o u p o s t l i k e t h i s t h e y c a n t s e e y o u

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: Don't fear the robots

I w o u l d n ' t b a n k o n i t .

2. DJV Silver badge

@SVV

Why is your post empty?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: @SVV

your ROT13 auto-translate is broken

3. zuckzuckgo Bronze badge

Re: Don't fear the robots

I s e e l o t s o f h o l e s i n t h a t a r g u m e n t.

4. Teiwaz Silver badge

robo-moderation?

To quote Kosh (as I'm posting on the Reg, let's refer to him as a Jedi)

'The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.'

5. robert lindsay
    Go

man thats a deep callback

everybody hurts

6. Cincinnataroo

There's some real potential.

Link your comment generating bot to feedback from their censoring bot.

Voila a nice adversarial network. Who knows where it could lead (other than to artificial-stupidity of a higher order, probably not human readable though).

1. First Light Bronze badge

Or it could be like the two bots negotiating against each other in a Facebook project, where the project had to be stopped because they came up with their own LANGUAGE and could no longer be understood by their human "overlords."

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

pandemic's no excuse

pandemic's no excuse for using badly implemented automatic moderation; moderation is one of the probably easiest things to do remotely.

1. tfewster Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: pandemic's no excuse

Staff cuts and increased posting volumes

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: pandemic's no excuse

BBFC can review each youtube and tiktok video from home?

Bring back the Lord Chancellors office to approve each tweet and Facebook post

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020