back to article Huawei signs non-aggression patent pact with membership of Open Invention Network

Huawei has become a licensee member of the Open Invention Network (OIN), which agrees to cross-license Linux patents to one another royalty free and to any organisation that agrees not to assert its patents against Linux. The Chinese tech giant is already a long-standing member of the Linux Foundation and other open-source …

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Devil

Linux lock-in

I'd assumed the article incorrectly quoted their mission as ".....any organisation that agrees not to asset its patents against Linux", when it actually reads "........ patents against open source projects."

But, no, I checked their website, and The Register article is correct.

So.... another example of "Linux vendor lock-in".. Typical. Seems that - yet again - the old rants against MS don't apply when it's Linux..

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"What of the company's controversial status today?"

Yes, what of it ?

Where is the proof that there is anything to be controversial about ?

The only controversy about Huawei is why the US Government is harping on about it without ever bringing any concrete evidence to the table. And you can fuck right off about national security concerns. Huawei equipment is publicly available, anyone can snap a pic of a suspicious motherboard, yet no one has.

This bullshit has been going on for longer than I care to remember, and I'm sick of it.

1. Tom 38

Re: "What of the company's controversial status today?"

Lots of people are saying that every Huawei phone exported is first sent to Wuhan, where 3 people cough on it and then a Pangolin licks it, I've heard.Smart people, the best people. You won't hear this in the Fake News.

1. John G Imrie

You are Donald Trump and I claim my £5

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

No, I'm Donald Trump.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I note that the lizard person known as Damien Green and the archosaur known as "IDS" have started attacking China and muttering about a new Cold War. In the same week that it was revealed that "thousands of ventilators" = 30, 10000 tests a day = 5000, and self-isolating NHS staff are hardly being tested at all.

Nothing to do, then, with the Chinese response to coronavirus being much faster and more effective than that of our own government of lizards, then. No deflection there at all.

Perhaps what really, really frightens the US about Huawei is not that it is a competitor to Qualcomm and Apple but that it has rotating CEOs, suggesting that maybe the monarchical idea embedded in so many US corporations may not be the best way to run things.

3. alain williams Silver badge

The only controversy about Huawei is why the US Government is harping on about it without ever bringing any concrete evidence to the table.

The answer is quite simple. Under World Trade Organization rules it prohibits discrimination between trading partners, but provides exceptions for environmental protection, national security, and other important goals.

So the only way that Trump can run his protectionist policies is to make false allegations of Huawei being bad for national security.

His assertions of security issues are largely fake news.

Huawei has to do what the Chinese government says, but so do companies in the USA and companies in the UK and in most other countries.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good luck to them

I have far more confidence in Huawei than the likes of Cisco... or come to that any US based company.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like