back to article Japanese airline ANA spins out telepresence-bot startup for virus-avoiding medicos and fearful tourists

Japanese airline ANA has spun out a startup to develop and sell “avatars” - robots that comprise a remote-controllable stand with iPad-like device running a Facetime-like app, to bring your face into a room. ANA has been working on something similar since around 2016 and clearly thinks the time is now to graduate the idea from …

1. ocratato

Just the Start

This is the VIC-20 version of telepresence.

The end state is depicted in the Bruce Willis movie "Surrogates", though I don't think we will get there any time soon.

Using the latest robot technology, such as from Boston Dynamics, and a modern VR system for controlling it we could almost allow manual workers to work from home.

1. macjules

Re: Just the Start

We implant coronavirus victims who have zombified after the vaccine was found to contain a T-cell deactivator (thanks Big Pharm) so that we can remotely control them on the shop floor, or strap them into robot pickers in Amazon warehouses.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Flying is easy

Bulk them up and make them really fast so they can be train guides. Get anywhere near Tokyo and there are multiple train operators, many multiple levels, multiple tracks, multiple entry queues per track, maybe female-only cars, and shoulder-to-shoulder crowds. You have 1 to 4 minutes to transfer. Doors stay open for about 10 seconds. With any luck you'll have clear view an electric sign while it's showing Romaji or Hiragana.

3. KittenHuffer Silver badge
    Terminator

As is usual Scott Adams has already been there ....

https://dilbert.com/strip/2012-10-26

A must for this story ----->

1. hopkinse

Re: As is usual Scott Adams has already been there ....

I'm just wondering what colour t-shirt to put on mine... https://images.app.goo.gl/KEMPbPvUPnLTFL128

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge
        Terminator

Re: As is usual Scott Adams has already been there ....

I'd probably go with this one ...

https://q-finder.com/product/i-am-a-robot-beep-boop-funny-halloween-long-sleeve-t-shirt/

4. Lawrie-aj

Yes, but can it manage stairs?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't this already a thing?

IIRC there was an episode of Modern Family years ago where nerdy dad Phil Dunphy used exactly the same technology.

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: Isn't this already a thing?

I don't know about MF, but Big Bang Theory had a bit with Sheldon.

6. SVV

Gentlemen, I now reveal my greatest invention yet.....

A mobile iPad.

Er, tablets are already mobile, quite easy to carry around and use for talking to other people on anywhere.......as are phones. On the other hand, the company have been tremendously quick off the mark to try and cash in on the current crisis.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like