back to article Huawei P40 Pro: Camera setup really captures the misery of an empty world foods aisle

Huawei, when translated from the original Chinese, means "terrible timing"*. Case in point: the Huawei P40 Pro packs one of the best smartphone cameras yet, but comes at a time when most people are (or should be) self-isolating. With no restaurant meals to Instagram, or hazy drunken shenanigans to capture, it almost feels …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You have to laugh

"And if you're desperate, you can hunt through the darkest nether reaches of the internet to find APKs – although this comes with an obvious element of risk".

So no different to the Google playstore then?

Cheers… Ishy

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I appreciate that these shots were probably just banged off

But didn't the AI notice that only one is anywhere near vertical/horizontal?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But didn't the AI notice that only one is anywhere near vertical/horizontal?

"AI" here stands for "Artificial Italian", and in this particular case the Italian happened to be from Pisa :-)

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Alert

Er, this is why I read El Reg?

Mobile phone reviews and documenting the end times.

1. DJV Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Er, this is why I read El Reg?

Well, I only read it to check up on the tax/MOT status of cars they happen to photograph!

And, just so you know, that red Alfa Romeo is fully legal until 1 September 2020 and, with the MOT not needed until 29 January 2021, the owner shouldn't need to take advantage of the 6 month extension announced the other day!

4. MiguelC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"On a recent trip to my local Tesco, I was able to capture the despair of the empty pasta aisle with such precision, I almost felt like a Reuters journalist embedded in Caracas."

You could do it just like the guys in the Special Correspondents film :)

5. Benchops

Absent

> so too is Facebook, WhatsApp and Messenger.

How much is it? And where can I get one?

1. big_D Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Absent

No Google and no Facebook? Sounds like a sweet deal.

I spent nearly half an hour de-Googling and de-Facebooking my new phone. Unfortunately I got an update yesterday and this morning it had somehow slipped McAfee onboard...

6. Doctor Evil
    Coat

"ime is especially important when you're looking at a smartphone, not merely because they're expensive, but also because a simple software update can radically change the overall experience – by addressing features or introducing new bugs."

There, FTFY

7. BebopWeBop
    Devil

Slack is absent, so too is Facebook, WhatsApp and Messenger.

Colour me dissapointed......

8. FozzyBear
    Windows

Um, so this smart phone

Can you make phone calls on it?? Send simple text messages?

This grumpy old bastard wants to know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like