back to article From Gmail to Gfail: Google's G-Suite topples over for unlucky netizens, rights itself

A bunch of Google services, from Gmail and Google Drive to Hangouts and Classroom, fell offline for unlucky netizens in North America today. The Mountain View ads giant said a "partial outage" knocked bits of its G-Suite service down, and it seemed the East Coast of the US was the biggest areas hit, with apps and websites …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Clouds sometime rain

OK, it went down, but it came back up again - that's normal for cloud services, the reality is that they are generally fairly reliable but occasionally there are problems. If you are going to complain about it then go ahead - but complaining just illustrates that you don't understand the world. Have you never had your home PC fail to boot up or the TV just show a dot in the middle of the screen (or these days just a line from top to bottom)?

1. JimBob01

Re: Clouds sometime rain

“ If you are going to complain about it then go ahead - but complaining just illustrates that you don't understand the world.”

WT-absolute-F!?

Dunno about you but I live in a world where large cloud companies constantly bang on about how much more reliable they are than using your own equipment.

For this reason, a PC not booting is not news worthy whereas a mega-cloud service being borked is.

1. cschneid

I still think of cloud as a faith-based computing initiative.

2. Doctor Evil

"Dunno about you but I live in a world where large cloud companies constantly bang on about how much more reliable they are than using your own equipment."

Indeed, and you are free to believe/accept that -- or not -- as you wish.

For myself, I prefer to keep my data and backups on premises where they're (mostly) under my control. YMMV

1. ckm5

Works great until you have a fire, flood or theft. I prefer to have local and 3x cloud backups with different providers.

3. RM Myers
        Meh

PC not booting is not news worthy

BorkBorkBork??

4. ckm5

These days, it pretty much doesn't matter if your PC is ultra reliable but the internets go offline... Still mostly useless, at least for my work...

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

> Have you never had your home PC fail to boot up or the TV just show a dot in the middle of the screen (or these days just a line from top to bottom)?

Well yes, and I've noted to never buy that brand of TV/motherboard/power supply in the future.

My current PC hasn't failed to boot in the 3 years I've had it, after the assembly issues were worked out. If it did fail to boot, it would GET the boot... right out the door.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

titsup URL?

So the truncated URL is bit.ly/appgoogelstatus? Really?

Strangely, that works and bit.ly/appgooglestatus does not...

And people wonder why we have tons of problems with typosquatters and phishing...

1. KSM-AZ
      FAIL

Re: titsup URL?

I noted this as well. Good Luck getting to bit.ly/...anything... from inside my firewalls.

NOBODY hand types in URL's anymore, and it's almost criminal for google to put out anything that doesn't use a google domain name. What would have been wrong with:

https://issues.google.com/....

bit.ly, and it's ilk are *all* banned thru my PA's. We actually had our dental provider offering dental appointments at a mobile trailer at our office. You scheduled by following a bit.ly link (Fail) witch directed to an insecure link, (Fail) which directed to a secure link that had nothing to do with the company providing the dental services (FAIL, appointment.com or something like that), with a mis-matched certificate (WOW, unbeliveable). There was no HIPAA notifications, and the site asked for your name and date of birth to set up the appointment.

And HR/benefits actually dragged me in front of my boss and our CIO because I REFUSED to allow the traffic through. My boss almost snorted an entire cheese sandwich thru his nose when I told him why we were being summoned.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. ckm5

3 hour hangout this AM

Had a 3-hour Hangout Meet this AM EST with 22 people on it, didn't notice any issues. Also, mail, calendar & docs was working fine here in SF...

Outage? What outage?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We were told that a router went down that was responsible for the outage.

6. SJA

Maybe GSync got infected by COVID

Maybe GSync got infected by a virus like COVID-19

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like