back to article Brits swarm Dixons Carphone for laptops, printers, games consoles, fridges, freezers to weather out COVID-19 storm

Online sales at Dixons Carphone shot up as Brits began preparing en masse to work from home by shelling out on notebooks, printers and – to keep the kids happy – games consoles, in response to the spread of COVID-19. The retailer said web-based sales soared 72 per cent year-on-year in the first three weeks of March, with …

1. Chris G Silver badge

If sales are up

Does that mean after sales will benefit?

Going by my past experience, even when their shops were open it was pretty difficult to have a problem dealt with satisfactorily.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

Ain't that a shame ?

You shut down retail points and lay staff off, and suddenly a pandemic comes along and boosts your activity.

I'm guessing you're happy you can still use those thousands of hands now, aren't you ?

Which is not going to keep you from ejecting them as soon as the spike ends.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

... and catch Coronavirus

Given that Boris Johnson is now fiddling the figures and is now only counting as Dead those that:

1) previously actually managed to get Tested, and

2) the diagnosis was Positive, and

3) the consent of Relatives (if there are any) has been obtained,

then the prevalance of the undiagnosed disease amongst the general UK popuilation could be anything between 1 in a 1,000 and 1 in a 100.

so the likelihood is that large superstores will be being visited more frequently than once a day by at least one undiagnosed person who is contagious.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: ... and catch Coronavirus

I do hope the WHO calls the UK out on it. It'd be the second time in as many weeks that the UK has got told to sit on the naughty step but it doesn't really matter because those at the top are shameless.

2. DuncanLarge

All those points are totally logical and correct.

Do you want us to add accidental deaths to it as well??

Use your common sense.

1. matt 83

Did you forget the sarcasm tags?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Or the making up shit tags.

4. IB2

Lines sold out

Their warehouses and DC facilities are out, or nearly out, of fridges and freezers (as folks tried to find somewhere to stash their panic buys). Tablets, laptops, and the Amazon, Google and Facebook video assistants have sold so people can stay in touch and now people are buying TVs and entertainment products and those lines are getting depleted fast. All perfectly crazy and selfishly rational responses.

5. Scott Broukell

Advice saught please.

So, now that I have purchased and taken delivery of, the last remaining stock of two dozen Super Duper Humongous chest freezers, do I put all the brand new laptops, game consoles and other assorted tech etc. into the freezers, together with the 350 multi-pack luxury loo rolls?

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Advice saught please.

No, obviously you use them to barricade your doors and windows for when the (extremely spaced out*) mob find out where you live!

* as in distance, not magic mushrooms.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The storm before the desert of no sales

When people realise that they have no money coming (and not all bills can be deferred) in for god knows how long (DWP/HMRC/whoever need to get their act together)

I have far too much electronic tat as it is... but the recycling centre is shut. Until something can go out... nothing more will be coming in.

7. Pete 2 Silver badge

A grave undertaking

> Brits began preparing en masse to work from home ... buying up TVs, fridges, freezers

freezers? A sign that funeral directors are part of the home working crowd. (I'm sure there's a sitcom in there, somewhere)

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: A grave undertaking

Guitars. I've been and panic bought a very lovely guitar that I've always wanted but didn't dare spend the necessary. It's a buyers market at the moment.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: A grave undertaking

This one? Starring the indomitable Thora Hird.

8. steviebuk Silver badge

I wonder

"Early signs are that this strong [online] trading has continued since stores closed and will help to compensate for lost sales,"

Lost sales of unneeded warranties.

9. clyde666

mobiles

People not going out or to work won't need to buy a new mobile, as there will be nobody to show it off to

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: mobiles

Or the ability to drop it on the pavement and smash it :)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

kiss of life for dixons

but eventually, they will disappear. I can't even say, tongue in cheek, it's a shame cause free viewing of kit your order online elsewhere, but they never have anything I ever want / order anyway...

11. matt 83

Anyone looking to panic buy electricals...

A friend of mine inside Philips gave me a tip that fresh shipments of their bikini trimmers won't be available until much later in the year as the factory is busy making useful things that people need.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone looking to panic buy electricals...

"as the factory is busy making useful things that people need.”

Hot Wax Strip Unsightly Hair Removers?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021