back to article Tupperware-dot-com has a live credit card skimmer on its payment page, warns Malwarebytes

Tupperware, maker of the plastic food containers beloved of the Western middle classes, has an active and ongoing malware infection on its website that steals credit card data and passes it to criminals. Infosec firm Malwarebytes, which made the discovery, has gone public with its findings today after alleging Tupperware …

1. Spudley
    Coat

Branded lunchbox biz didn't answer for 5 days, alleges infosec firm

I guess they were trying to keep a lid on it.

1. Saruman the White Silver badge
      Facepalm

Their lids are sealed

2. Steve K

Yes..

..a veritable information vacuum

They have resealed no information yet

2. Andy Non Silver badge

The infosec firm has

boxed them in now.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Coat

Re: The infosec firm has

Pandora might disagree!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why

I use a prepaid debit card for all online buying.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: This is why

Single use virtual cards for me.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Single use, or for repeated payments (e.g. regular bills), dedicated virtual cards with tight limits.

I use privacy.com for that; so far it's worked well. I also like the fact that they'll accept any name + address information, so you don't have to provide real details to sites with no need for them.

2. Tomato Krill

It’s why I use your prepaid debit card too now :)

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the little HTTPS padlock shows up in the browser address bar"

That is going to be an interesting explanation, when Tupperware gets down to it.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Re: "the little HTTPS padlock shows up in the browser address bar"

At least they'll be able to keep it fresh

2. Cynic_999

The code has been planted on the server, so will be SSL encrypted along with everything else. Or did you think the padlock means that some sort of virus protection is in place?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not really it's an iframe so it's not planted on 'the server'. However as crooks are now also using SSL for their malicious intents then the page is deemed to have full SSL and won't create a problem.

1. Tomato Krill

The reason the iframe Is loaded though, is code inserted On the server no?

I haven't looked at this in any detail, but based on the article (as I remember it):

The "code" is just HTML, specifically an IFRAME element. That element was inserted into the content included in some page served by tupperware.com. (I'm not clear on the exact mechanism; the article mentions malware contained in an image file, but something had to decode that and inject the iframe into the page.)

The IFRAME's SRC is a URL referring to deskofhelp.com; that's the server controlled by the attacker. So the content of the IFRAME, which is a malicious payment-submission form, is loaded from the attacker's server.

So some of the "code" (such as it is) is hosted by tupperware.com, and the rest is hosted by deskofhelp.com.

It's all HTTPS, so the page doesn't contain mixed content. The padlock indicator is working as expected.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I would imaging the iframe loader is on a third party site that is loaded via a javascript src file. Not directly on their server.

Checkout page rules: Do not use any third party code on that page (or a login page). Do not load a third party payment s[processor into an ifarme.

5. Stuart Halliday
    Thumb Up

Well, at least Malwarebytes customers will be protected I assume.

6. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Best not to open any Tupperware box...

If you didn't fill it yourself, and you don't know who did...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

What's the betting?

What's the betting that when Tupperware do respond, the first line of their statement to the press will be something like "Customer security is our top priority".

1. NATTtrash
      Trollface

Re: What's the betting?

...and we take it very seriously...

8. Trollslayer
    Thumb Up

PayPal

I use this online if offered, a one time link takes me to PayPal and I approve the transaction.

Re: PayPal

I don't like PayPal, personally - they're under-regulated and have a history of bad practices (e.g. cutting off services for organizations they don't like, apparently on political grounds). And the transition from the vendor site to PayPal is ripe for phishing. It's probably more secure than paying directly with a conventional credit or debit account, particularly if the site wants to store your payment details - I wouldn't trust the vast majority of online vendors to do that to a reasonable degree of security under a reasonable threat model.

But virtual credit cards are very likely safer, and they provide more control and privacy than PayPal.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Re: PayPal

Also, apparently they used to just confiscate anyone's money if they didn't like how it was being earned - say, commissioned artwork that happened to fall afoul of PayPal's morals.

If they're going to be behaving like a financial institution, they need to be regulated as such.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like