back to article Azure admins' cold sweat likely caused by a 'isolated' power problems that browned out West Central USA region

As if the world doesn't have enough to worry about right now, Azure users with resources running in the Microsoft cloud's Central West USA region have just enjoyed an outage. The problem took out virtual machines and SQL Server, plus plenty of lesser services like Azure's IoT Hub and Cognitive Search. Social media suggests …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

I never get tired of saying this

How's that cloud thing working for ya?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

So it's Office 363 now, isn't it ?

1. swm

366 because of leap year.

2. VibhorTyagi

I Engineer AI, ML, DL...

Useful information, really loved the explanation on this. During the day, as I engineer AI as a process, Azure has really been crucial to me and my team's coordination. Microsoft should be proud with this one. We have managed a lot of work where we engineer AI, at the same time schedule and plan the next course of action as we go along - all because of an ease of access cloud capability which Azure provides.

~Vibhor Tyagi (Techie at Engineer.AI)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I Engineer AI, ML, DL...

That's one for my cringe collection

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud is just another utility business model. Just like power to your home or broadband, there is a risk of a failure.

If the network infrastructure went down that supports the cloud, we would loose everything !

The difference is, that because the cloud is a pay per use, There is no relationship between client and cloud provider that can be leveraged to help the business.

If you stop using the Cloud provider because of bad service, the cloud provider will just replace you with another 10 businesses.

You can log a call and expect to get the "Your call is important to us" when you leave you will get "Sorry to see you leave". No negotiations or risk to the cloud provider.

Cost VS Risk

1. Alister

If the network infrastructure went down that supports the cloud, we would loose everything !

AAAAAAAARGH!

It's LOSE ffs

1. swm

I don't know - they could loose a lot of stuff - I just hope it's all directed at micro$oft.

5. Blade918rr

We could see a bit of a meltdown if we all have to stay at home (including children) for isolation. All the additional internet usage from bored kids and remote working.

1. Alister

We could see a bit of a meltdown

Already started for Teams, see https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/16/microsoft_teams_wobble

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"All the additional internet usage from bored kids and remote working."

Be thankful the kids are being kept occupied. A family meltdown would soon happen if they kept asking you to "entertain" them every five minutes.

1. Olivier2553

Or you could fish out the old board games and start doing something together instead if doing something next to each other...

Being bored is good, it the the time when you can let your mind drift out and become creative: I used to draft a lot of project at the time when I rode a bike several hours every week end. I had nothing better to keep my mind busy.

3. PM from Hell

Gaming and video conferencing don't mix

I used to be a member of a small consultancy group. Our MD decided that we should have more regular meetings, as we were all working on different sites we did these remotely using Skype (many years ago).

The call would always end with the MD swearing at us for not buying fast enough connections as voice quality went down and down until the call would fail.

After a few cycles of this we realised that the call failure happened about 30 minutes after schools closed. He was the only person with school age kids, sure enough his sons were getting in from school and as he was ensconced in his office with a message that they must not disturb him they were taking advantage of the fact that he wouldn't be checking on them to give homework a miss and sign on to world of warcraft.

6. Captain Scarlet
    Thumb Down

Ah right

Thats why we couldn't play Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition, not even got an XBOX connected account but was impossible to create a Lobby last night.

7. Dave 32
    Coat

Isolated Power Event

Does "Isolated Power Event" equal "Darn! The cleaner unplugged the computer again."?

Dave

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Coat

Limited number

Doesn't say how big the limit was. It could mean everyone - that's a limited number.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like