back to article How's this for a JEDI mind trick? AWS waves hand, has Uncle Sam 'reconsider' $10bn contract award to Microsoft

The US government has filed a motion [PDF] to the Court of Federal Claims asking for 120 days to "reconsider certain aspects" of the Pentagon's decision to hand Microsoft the JEDI super-cloud contract – yet Amazon Web Services will oppose the motion. Microsoft was awarded the Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure (JEDI) …

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Angel

WOT!

Who are you & what have you done with El Reg or have you simply run out of Babylon 5 publicity pictures to use?

Icon - Kosh! The avalanche has already started it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Happy

Re: WOT!

it is too late for the pebbles to vote

interesting analogy...

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Pint

I thought so too!

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Alien

You clot! That's clearly a picture of Carter from Farscape!

2. Pseu Donyme

As an aside it occurred to me that a cloud provider will no doubt work relentlessly to lock in any customer in a number of ways and likely succeed. After which it is just about tightening the screws for as much money as can be squeezed out. Which will be plenty when the customer is a government; in effect the power to tax has been handed to a for-profit corporation.

1. Robert Grant

You could describe any government employee or private contract to the government that way, although I admit that this is reasonably egregious.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While your observations about cloud providers are interesting, may I suggest you cast your net wider and include incumbent DoD suppliers?

Who needs "vendor lock in" when you just get the customer to pay you to acquire and build everything, charge them hefty maintenance and support fees, include sky high rates for any changes and wrap it in a 20 year contract to allow same "savings" to be passed to the customer. Unless the customer triggers an early exit clause that doubles the costs again.

JEDI is about reducing an estimated $15-25bn spend over 10 years with incumbents to a capped $10bn fee. Yup...that's how much cloud lock in saves over the existing DoD outsourcers....

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

overall savings... you DO have a point.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"Job Security"

a cloud provider will no doubt work relentlessly to lock in any customer in a number of ways

Oracle has probably been doing this for YEARS with THEIR solutions...

and you've heard of "job security" with contractors, right?

What the Feds need to do is scope it out properly so that the risk of this is minimized, knowing it CAN (and probably WILL) happen if it is NOT in the contract.

Trump is a 'contract guy". I hope he and his people are involved enough in the process to address this very REAL concern.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like bid repair

I can see why AWS objects.

4. DoctorNine

Who's your best friend?

Inasmuch as the real purpose of democratic government is to decide who gets to award fat government contracts to whom, I submit that this conflict may best be described as a catfight between two teens, both eager to establish credentials as Uncle Sam's bestie, in the hopes that the sweet milk of graft shall ever flow in their direction.

Of course, it's just an analogy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who's your best friend?

Incorrect - the US Government (aka Trump) should have no influence over the awarding of contracts, it is solely down to the D.O.D. therein lies the AWS complaint - Trump had influence over the awarding when he is barred from influencing in any way.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Simple

They just added an extra clause to the "Do you want free shipping with a trial of Amazon Prime" screen and the DoD clicked yes

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Simple

I think it looked more like "Do you want free shipping (with a trial of Amazon Prime)". Or at least that's as close as I can get with elReg's comment code.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still no *gate pics.

7. Dave Rickmers

Donny needs Jeff Bezos' help

Specifically the grocery store infrastructure. Whole Foods was name checked by POTUS yesterday.

8. IGnatius T Foobar !

The biggest providers should be locked out.

Neither Amazon nor Microsoft can be trusted to provide computing services to the government. There should be a dedicated federal cloud that provides computing services to other government agencies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like