back to article Amazon teases Bottlerocket, its take on Linux specifically for running containers

Amazon Web Services has begun previewing Bottlerocket, a new open-source Linux distribution designed for running containers. There are two main ideas behind Bottlerocket. The first is to make it easier to automate OS updates by applying them in a single step, rather than package by package. According to AWS, this will also …

1. Dinsdale247

Oh good

They've finally caught up with buildroot and embedded Linux best practices. Partition swapping has only been around for 30 years or so...

https://www.buildroot.org/

1. cbars Bronze badge

Re: Oh good

sometimes following best practice is easier said than done. It's a bit like "follow the law". Explains why tax lawyers are well paid.

It's hard because its complicated.

1. Dinsdale247

Except that I'm saying it's not hard; it's been done to death. I have a 5 year old Linux image that likely has 80% of this. FreeBSD has a deployment script to set up an SD card to do the same thing. If Amazon is having trouble running the build root script and creating Linux partitions, we all have bigger problems.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah I had some dick head from an agency in Sydney (on a skype call to MCS Consulting) tell me that everyone uses that open package based embedded (is it OpenEmbedded) system when I mentioned buildroot. Then he had the sheer audacity that he was looking for someone to do more than toggle a few GPIOs. Needless to say, I didn't bother speaking to him again.

But there are alternatives, there are many ways to skin a cat, but you don't even need dynamic libraries in a non multiuser system.

1. SealTeam6

dynamic libraries use less memory as they are only loaded when needed.

also they make updates easier; the application does not need to be restarted.

2. man_iii

Monolithic problems

isn't the issue of OS updates more to do with the system packages vs app packages breaking compatibility and not really a boot issue?

I wouldn't say cloning and rolling back images are as helpful when you need to isolate the offending package or library update that broke it ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like