back to article UK.gov is not sharing Brits' medical data among different agencies... but it's having a jolly good think about it

Who'd be a head of data policy for the British government? You spend all your time talking about data transparency, but it is so hard to be transparent. Just ask Stephen Lorimer, head of public sector data at the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS). At an event run by think tank The Institute for Government …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So, basically speaking . .

You're not considering it except you are, so when you say you're not going to do it, it means you will.

We truly are in the 3rd millennium. Now we all have to become experts in doublespeak.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So, basically speaking . .

He's not not doing it.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: So, basically speaking . .

Never believe anything until it's been officially denied

2. DenonDJ DN-2500F

Enough mugs were fooled during the last election for them not to care about the truth for the next 5 years at least. Party before country = profit before people = 100% true tory.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Insult the electorate, cause that really works.

The last election was choosing the best option of a bunch of bad ones. The fascists in blue were the least worst. The commies in red and yellow were the absolute worst. The solution is not to bitch as what idiots the people who voted differently to you are, cause that really worked didn't it? But to vote for independents or if they can get it off the ground a party that stands for people rights over government's increasing invasion into our everyday lives. The best summary I have seen of the election so far was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MlfY-H841U and the ending is pretty much spot on. BAAAA.

1. BebopWeBop
        Thumb Down

Re: Insult the electorate, cause that really works.

I don’t think you know what a “commie” is.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Way to take hyperbole literally. Neither are the blues actual fascists, but you didn't argue with that did you? Be part of the solution and not the problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Be part of the solution and not the problem.

And what should I do if I think one very significant problem is the unnecessary over-use of divisive "hyperbole"?

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
              Happy

Well, stop replying to yourself for starters!

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

https://i.imgur.com/r4FXaXo.gifv - :)

2. JohnMurray

The trouble being: We now have Blue Commies.

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge

How on earth could you think the Tories were the best of of the three?

You don't even have to think the others would have done any good to realise they'd still have been better than this totally useless and evil lot who will do countless damage.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

https://i.imgur.com/r4FXaXo.gifv - ;)

2. Eburt

>> "Enough mugs were fooled during the last election for them not to care about the truth for the next 5 years at least"

That's going on the massive assumption that the other parties don't lie.

3. LucreLout

Enough mugs were fooled during the last election for them not to care about the truth for the next 5 years at least. Party before country = profit before people = 100% true tory.

Enough people were economically literate enough to see the utter carnage that would have befallen the nation under the clapped out Corbyn marxists for them to care about the truth, democracy, diversity, and the fight against racism for them to vote Conservative and save the nation for the next 5 years.

There, fixed that for you.

Labour trully are an evil party. There's simply no other word for them. They hate the rich. They hate the Jews. The hate the English. They hate diversity. They hate...... They. Are. Evil. Nobody with a shred of decency or a social conscience could consider voting labour now.

It's high time the few remaining voters they do have grow up a bit and learn to put others before their own petty wants and desires. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I used to vote labour, but never again, not after the last campaign, and not with any of the current shower of wannabes hoping to be leader.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I'd have upvoted your post if you'd stopped typing after "There, fixed that for you." but as it is I choose not to for your post at all, neither up nor down.

3. BebopWeBop
    Devil

Basically you can trust the bastards .

1. BebopWeBop

For the benefit of my co worker - I was being sarcastic!

4. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

Be careful what you tell us

Perhaps GP surgeries will begin to post notices Be careful what you tell us, because we're forced to pass it on for use by all departments of government.

Hospitals (and their employees) will be prevented from giving the same warning.

1. JohnMurray

Re: Be careful what you tell us

The problem is more that the GP practices are our data guardians, and are supposed to protect the data. While the govt is telling them to hand it over to everyone else too..

2. Blazde
      Big Brother

Re: Be careful what you tell us

We could just talk to our GPs in code.

"That business we talked about last week, it's.. finalised at last. What a relief. Your associate was able to provide some very helpful material assistance."

"Good to hear. And has there been movement on the new business this week?"

"None yet, is that a concern?"

"No no, delicate matter. It shouldn't be rushed. I hope there'll be less collateral damage this time."

"Yes I'm hopeful too. Do you think our friends up high suspect anything?"

"Ahh, I can't hear you. The line is going funny. I'll see you next week for your monthly height measurement anyway. No wait, we did your height last time. Probably no need to check it again so soon you know, hah! This one is uhh.. a cuticle check-up. We can discuss further then anyhow. Bye."

3. This post has been deleted by a moderator

5. Mike 137 Silver badge

"If people believe that what they tell their GP could get passed to DWP or the Home Office, public health will be harmed and costs to the NHS will go up due to delayed care."

If people's records are passed to [insert government agency] some of those people will be abused, not because of any evil intent but because government departments operate rule based systems with no account taken of individual circumstances. The steam roller flattens all equally.

"DCMS is preparing a Framework for Data Processing by government departments as required under the Data Protection Act 2018. However, it is only consulting with government departments and the Information Commissioner's Office, and not with the public"

See Data Protection Act 2018

"8 Lawfulness of processing: public interest etc

In Article 6(1) of the GDPR (lawfulness of processing), the reference in point (e)

to processing of personal data that is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of the controller’s official authority includes processing of personal data that is necessary for—

[...]

(c) the exercise of a function conferred on a person by an enactment or rule of law,

(d) the exercise of a function of the Crown, a Minister of the Crown or a government department [...]"

Consequently it appears they can do any damn thing they want. So much for Data Protection.

It's worth noting that data protection legislation was originally conceived pursuant to the declaration of human rights to protect persons from governments, not from Google.

1. BebopWeBop

Well on the other hand, records can be conveniently lost/shredded - see Windrush

6. Chris G Silver badge

Not right now, at the moment

Two phrases that are intended to leave room for plausible deniability.

" I said we weren't doning it at the moment, I didn't say we absolutely wouldn't do it ever."

Aren't politicians such honest, straight talking, cuddly people?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Not right now, at the moment

That is at least honest.

The normal politics is to promise they would never do something (die in a ditch, lay in front of bulldozer etc) while waiting for the opportunity to announce it

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sharing is caring

I recently moved from Wales to England and even my new doctor cannot get access to my old records.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Think it is time to withdraw consent for the sharing of medical records at the surgery level as we are allowed to do as long as the DPR is on the statute book, depite how that might impact health planning.

9. phuzz Silver badge

I just read the title as "UK.gov is not sharing Boris' medical data among different agencies", which sums up one of the problems with data sharing that might actually get some notice from politicians.

How will they feel when any old civil servant can check their records and find out about that embarrassing little STI treatment?

(Disclaimer, I'm not saying that all politicians have had sexually transmitted infections. I'm just implying it.)

1. A random security guy

I thought that politicians were the STI

You have to cross the pond to see it in action.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022