back to article HP hostile takeover warms up: Xerox queues print job cash_and_shares.pdf, mails it to the board to mull over

Xerox is going for it: this morning it officially inched forward in its effort to forcibly acquire troubled PC-and-printers slinger HP amid repeated attempts by HP's board to strangle the plan. “HP today confirmed that Xerox Holdings Corporation has commenced an unsolicited exchange offer to acquire all outstanding shares of …

1. Charlie van Becelaere

Why do I get the feeling

that Xerox may find hardware / software / services contracts intermingled in a none-too-transparent way?

Caveat Emptor!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Why do I get the feeling

Well, Xerox can always write off however many billion, then attack HP management for cooking the books, right ?

I mean, look how much good that has done for HP against Autonomy ?

Oh, right . . .

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

I mean, look how much good that has done for HP against Autonomy ?

I think that's the "other" HP.

2. W.S.Gosset Silver badge

> Caveat Emptor!

Debita diligentia.

"Ad data-cubiculum!" (numeris locus?)

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

numeris locus?

Sorry - I'm afrad that my genius loci has died from a corps-speak overdose and is now residing in Hel.

Along with the rest of us..

2. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Bugger off raiders

HP can always claim it's Adobe installation is borked...

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Bugger off raiders

being as they probably use Win-10-nic and run Adobe's PDF viewer, I'd say that's a fair bet!

(by comparison, IBM would use Atril and Linux, most likely)

I have to wonder what Xerox uses, but that might be Apple [in which case a plethora of PDF viewers are available]

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

paper free office

Very confusing to us non interested parties. I get the impression xerox realized they were paying a billion for toner they got from hp and decided if they buy hp they can just wander in the stationery closet and help themselves for free.

Sadly that sounds better than what in reality sounds like the usual deal to benefit people making the deal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: paper free office

Maybe Xerox couldn't afford all that money for toner up-front, someone suggested they buy it on HP, and the whole misunderstanding got way out of control

4. Julz Silver badge

Why

do I find it wholly uninteresting as to whether or not two moribund US corporations do or do not merge. Oh, yes I remember, they both stopped doing anything of interest decades ago and I haven't used any of their products or services for about the same time. I guess there might be some entertainment in watching their death dance but perhaps not.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese

Re: Why

The key thing here is that whatever happens, the Xerox name needs to survive....with a lower-case 'x' it's a slang expression for 'to photocopy' and a very useful thing in a game of Scrabble.

5. Ross 12

Xerox are such a weird company. Outside of the US, they're just kinda known as that american photocopier company. And then you find out that they invented the GUI, WYSIWYG editing, and ethernet.

1. Michael Habel Silver badge

And, that Two Cats named Jobs, and Gates made off with the goods. forming two very influential coporations of their own.

6. IGnatius T Foobar !

HP Inc's shares are right now $21.22 apiece.

So you can buy a share of HP Inc for less money than an ink cartridge. Heh.

1. Michael Habel Silver badge

Almost a shame it isn't the older HP, that made the good Calculators, and Scopes. I think that lot buggered off somewhere, and rebranded themselves as Agilent IIRC.

7. fidodogbreath Silver badge

Xerox queues print job cash_and_shares.pdf, mails it to the board to mull over

Not that they needed to send the doc over; HP's "connected driver" had already picked it up out of the Xerox print queue and sent it to the mothership.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021