back to article Hanoi rocks for R&D – just ask Samsung: Chaebol starts work on $220m AI, IoT, 5G facility

Samsung has started work on a $220m R&D centre in Vietnam to contribute to it's research in AI, IoT, big data and 5G. The facility, which is based in the heart of the capital Hanoi, will be among the biggest of its kind in southeast Asia, Samsung claimed. A statement issued by the South Korean giant promised that it will …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

How long....

...before the orange one puts a trade embargo on Vietnam, despite publicly backing it only a few months ago.

I guess he hasn't yet twigged that the US lost that war and it's still a communist regime.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How long....

Back in the 1980s that libertarian journalist P J O'Rourke went there and reported that while the US was still in a "snit" with Vietnam other countries were investing, including the UK.

Still a communist régime? A very capitalist sort of communism, by all accounts.

2. Triggerfish

Re: How long....

Vietnam is a regime, it is a single party state. But I think it is more capitalist than communist economically, (not that I am a student of these things) AFAIK resources and so on tend to be accessed by state owned companies which I think counts as communist but there is plenty capitalism going on here also with private ownership and companies.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Earworm

Thanks, I'll now be singing Up Around the Bend all day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022