back to article First MWC, then GDC, now Nvidia's GPU conference is online-only as coronavirus spreads in Silicon Valley

Nvidia’s GPU Technology Conference, due to take place on March 22 to 26 in Silicon Valley's San Jose McEnery Convention Center, has been cancelled following the novel coronavirus outbreak in Northern California. The chip giant's loyalists will not get to see CEO Jensen Huang in the flesh, wearing his signature black leather …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"But we’ll do this all online"

Here's an idea :

Instead of wasting airline fuel to bring thousands of people to ogle petty ladies and half-heartily listen to your marketing spiel while searching for every bit of swag they can possible take back home, why not keep it that way ? It's not not like the people you invite have any bandwidth issues, now is it ?

Online presentations. Economical, green, no women to degrade and on-message, all the time.

How's that for starting the 3rd Millennium ?

Oh, it's not a revenue stream ? Oh well, back to the usual then. Ladies ? On with the skimpy outfits.

1. $till$kint
      Thumb Up

Re: "But we’ll do this all online"

100% this. And while we're at it, how many times do we actually *need* to be on site for work, vs times clients or bosses demand/expect it despite it adding no value.

But we must consume....

Hopefully a few folk will pick up on this theme and maybe we'll see less pointless travel. I live in hope.

2. Michael Hoffmann
      Facepalm

"It's not not like the people you invite have any bandwidth issues, now is it ?"

You don't live in Australia, it seems. Let me tell you about "bandwidth issues"...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "It's not not like the people you invite have any bandwidth issues, now is it ?"

When there's kangaroo, there's kangaroo issue.

When there's bandwidth, there's bandwidth issue.

When there's no bandwidth, there's no bandwidth issue...

My coat is the one took off by kangaroo.

3. richardcox13

Conferences are not really about the formal scheduled sessions. The real benefit is all the other communication and ad-hoc discussions.

That does not work online.

(However, in current circumstances, cancellations are a good idea.)

4. Fading Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Petty Ladies [sic] need work as well. Whilst no one is going to pay me to look pretty I do not begrudge those that can make a living from their looks.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Pathetic.

Quick cancel all events!

Meanwhile the same number of people probably visited your local IKEA last Saturday.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Correction

Hey it's better than saying "the coronavirus has infected X number of people" when the vast majority of people on the planet have been infected by A Corona virus.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Correction

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

4. Chris G Silver badge

Pizza

I am convinced that this covid-19 outbreak has been engineered by a pizza delivery company, in an attempt to get the world to retire to their basements and to order all meals online.

So far it seems to be heading in the right direction.

Expect future meals to be delivered by a PFY on two wheels and wearing a hazchem suit.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Pizza

I hope they don't spread it, people would fall over like Domino's

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020