back to article Red Hat slips through Platform 16 to OpenStack wizarding world, says customers still want to run their own cloud

OpenStack allows you to say "I am the Jeff Bezos of my cloud," Red Hat's Sean Cohen, senior manager product management, told The Reg at the launch of OpenStack's Platform 16, its enterprise cloud platform, which has just become generally available. OpenStack is open-source software for running computing resources, including …

1. EntArch2Cloud

K8s runs very well on bare metal. When Google created K8s, they could not imagine that anyone would ever want to run it in a virtual machine. The purpose of K8s is partially to make virtual machines obsolete.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Mushroom

Too many ignorant executives push their companies far deeper into the cloud than they should be. When things go bad, it's the IT departments who get blamed, while the twit VP gets a pat on the back and a title bump.

1. Mike the FlyingRat
      Big Brother

@NoneSuch...

You are spot on.

Pointy haired execs never get it.

The problem is that they are paying top dollar to consultants from the big 4 who have never actually gotten their hands dirty.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: @NoneSuch...

In the words of Larry Ellison "The computer industry is the only industry that is more fashion-driven than women’s fashion".

Then he added "I'm not gonna fight this thing ... well, maybe we'll do an ad. Uh, I don't understand what we would do differently in the light of cloud computing, other than market ... you know, change the wording on some of our ads."

That's probably the highest level of understanding brought to bear on it so far in the business community. Nobody's caught on to the fragility of all your data and services depending utterly on failure free subscription to a third party with zero commitment to your survival. Nor have they realised that you can't outsource the liability when things fail.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020