back to article If you're struggling to keep new year resolutions, try NGTS-10b, a mere 1,000 LY away. One year is just 18 hrs

Astronomers have discovered a hot Jupiter-like exoplanet with the shortest orbital period yet: a year on this large puffy world lasts just 18 hours. “We’re excited to announce the discovery of NGTS-10b, an extremely short period Jupiter-sized planet orbiting a star not too dissimilar from our Sun,” said James McCormac, a …

1. Chris G Silver badge

Curious as to the effect this planet would have on its sun if it spirals into it.

If the planet has a similar composition to Jupiter of largely hydrogen and helium, would that be enough to kick-start a new phase in the star?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Doubtful. Our Sun is 99.8% of the mass of our solar system. Throw Jupiter on it and you're just adding 0.1% of its mass. Won't make a difference.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

I know it's not quite the same, but think of throwing something that 0.1% of Earth's mass at Earth and see if makes a difference or not

It surely would make Earth go into a new phase... wouldn't it, Shirley?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Shirley is away for the moment, but I'm sure she'd agree when I say that, if Earth was hit by an object with 0.1% of its mass, Earth would survive just fine.

For life on Earth though, the matter would be quite different.

1. Aladdin Sane Silver badge

Depends on the relative velocity of the object.

2. Tom 7 Silver badge

The other side cold and dark?

Given how close it is to its sun I would imagine its fucking hot and quite brightly lit at the very least, Venus is near 500C so I can imagine even the dark side of this planet being a red glow at least.

1. Avatar of They
      Thumb Up

Re: The other side cold and dark?

Venus suffers from the horrendous greenhouse effect however, trapping heat..

Mercury varies greatly on the sunny side and dark side, because it has no atmosphere. A quick google and the sunny side is 430C. The cold side -180C.

I guess it would be hotter but depends on the what chemical break down of the planet is and whether it reflects heat away or keeps it.

1. Fading Silver badge
        Alien

Venus has a lot of problems - rotates the wrong way and takes 116 days longer to do it than this exoplanet takes to get round its entire sun. Also the atmosphere at the surface is 93 times the pressure we have on earth.

So sorry Europe it may be the final countdown but Venus is not a good destination to head for....

1. Jedit
          Joke

"Venus is not a good destination to head for...."

After 44 months, someone finally provides a positive benefit of leaving Europe.

2. STOP_FORTH Silver badge

So you say. What are you hiding there alien fiend?

3. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

Jovexit

In a referendum, citizens voted to leave the 27 other planets of the federation and move closer to their star. Switching on his three desk fans, Supreme Leader Boris Zog declared "With our warmer climate, asteroids and moons will be lining up to make tourist deals".

4. Dr. G. Freeman

This must be the place where recruiters go for those people with five years experience of things launched last year.

5. ThatOne Silver badge

Do you smell burning planet?

Yikes, orbiting at a distance of twice the diameter of the star! Given it's just a big ball of gas, the intense solar winds, combined with the extreme heat and the tidal forces, must be whittling it away fast.

6. Mark 85 Silver badge

McCormac said. “Of the hundreds of hot Jupiters currently known, there are only seven that have an orbital period of less than one day.”

This should probably read"..... of less than one earth day.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Coat

Well, technically a day lasts forever on a tidally locked planet, so one can say that on this kind of planets a year is always much shorter than a day...

7. Spherical Cow Bronze badge

Short-lived

I suspect planets like this are rare because they don't last long when orbiting so close to their suns. Solar winds and tidal forces must be intense.

1. Timbo

Re: Short-lived

Of course being Jupiter sized, it must also have a Jupiter type gravity, which coud be enough to keep itself intact....

But over time, it's local star (being bigger/heavier) will no doubt win the battle.

I suspect that we're living at a time after which this Jupiter-like planet has moved orbit towards its Sun but unlike our Solar System, there's not been any other celestial body" around to fling it back outwards.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: Short-lived

> unlike our Solar System, there's not been any other celestial body" around to fling it back outwards

I'm afraid that if Jupiter decided to move closer to the sun there is nothing anybody could do about it.

Mars? Earth? Venus? Mercury? All those are pebbles compared to Jupiter, it would toss them out of their orbits without even noticing. The only planet (barely) able to compete is Saturn (3 times lighter than Jupiter though), and its orbit is further away than Jupiter's anyway.

To resume, let's hope Jupiter is quite happy with its current orbit, lest we experience the infamous "elephant in a doll house" effect...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020