back to article Psst. SANshine, fancy a bit of shared block storage on Azure?

Microsoft has slung out a limited sneak peek at Azure Shared Disks, which enable on-premises applications that run on clustered storage to be migrated cloudwards. According to Azure Storage corporate veep Ted Brockway, Azure Shared Disks will support enterprise applications currently running on Storage Area Networks (SANs). …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    Facepalm

Ever more complex

I'm getting to the point where everything in Azure has become so complex that it might be easier to just shift everything back on-prem!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Ever more complex

The cloud is a high level concept.

When you look at it at a low level, you find it's made up of lots and lots and lots of fog.

2. jake Silver badge

Re: Ever more complex

"it might be easier to just shift everything back on-prem!"

I've been making pretty good money doing just that for companies large and small over the last ten years or so.

2. Androgynous Cow Herd

SAN in the “Cloud”?

It will all end in tiers.

3. jake Silver badge

Who buys into this kind of thing, anyway?

"The cost of a 1TB Premium SSD in West Europe, for example, is currently $122.88 per month."

For that kind of money I could own a hideously overpriced Intel Optane SSD 905P outright in well under as year. Note that I wouldn't purchase one, mind ... not when I could pay for a "normal" high-end SSD in a month or so for the same money.

4. buchan

AWS: New – Multi-Attach for Provisioned IOPS (io1) Amazon EBS Volumes

4 days before this article, AWS launched a similar feature for EBS:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-multi-attach-for-provisioned-iops-io1-amazon-ebs-volumes/

> Each EBS volume, when configured with the new Multi-Attach option, can be attached to a maximum of 16 EC2 instances in a single Availability Zone. Additionally, each Nitro-based EC2 instance can support the attachment of multiple Multi-Attach enabled EBS volumes.

> Multi-Attach for Provisioned IOPS (io1) volumes on Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) is available today at no extra charge to customers in the US East (N. Virginia), US West (Oregon), EU (Ireland), and Asia Pacific (Seoul) regions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like