back to article That'll take the spring out of your step: Apple warns of iPhone shortages, revenue miss due to coronavirus

Apple said the COVID-19 epidemic in China has disrupted iPhone production to the point that it will lead to global shortages of the handset – and likely miss already widened revenue forecasts it set in January. Although Cupertino's contract manufacturers' fabs are located outside of Wuhan – the city where the bio nasty is …

1. Captain Scarlet
    Trollface

Shortage of iPhones

I see it now, people screaming its the end of the world because their idevice soon enough.

Oh well at least they will keep their money a bit longer, unless they pre-order.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remeber when the CIA killed all Chinese chickens - and later pigs - by "virus".

"The virus might do more to achieve US President Donald Trump's trade war with China than his actual policies did."

Take that, Huawei!

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"The virus might do more"

Well yes, it will, because the virus is actually affecting China, whereas the tariffs are being paid by US companies and - by direct consequence - US citizens.

The only part of Trump's tariffs that have any impact on China is where US companies order less stuff, or no more at all following the famous forbidden list that erased 30% off the revenue of a company that needed parts from China.

The Chinese company is just suffering a small loss of revenue, the US company is hit for a third of its activity. Who's suffering the most ?

4. myithingwontcharge

Are you telling us everything?

Also, they're out of coffee.

5. werdsmith Silver badge

iPhones and JCBs.

Have something in common.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

They both use electricity?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/financial/jcb-cuts-production-as-coronavirus-hits-supply-chain-17-02-2020/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

finally !

Finally, Apple has a credible reason for missing revenue targets !

I wonder what it will be once this coronavirus story is over ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: finally !

They've had to warn only one other time, and met or exceeded revenue and earnings targets in pretty much every quarter since they released the iPod nearly 20 years ago.

7. MrKrotos

"The health and well-being of every person who helps make these products possible is our paramount priority"

ballshit it is

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Do I really need a "/s"?

You mean you haven't seen the suicide prevention nets? I have, so that's why I believe them.

8. a_yank_lurker

Widely expected

There has been chatter that the COVID-19 would cause some economic hurt because of the need for quarantines and workers being out sick or worse. I would expect many companies to report off numbers for the next couple of quarterly cycles as the virus hits other areas and after it burns out things get back to normal.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lenovo as well

Being told Laptops on order are shipping late due to COVID-19

10. RLWatkins

This could be profitable for Apple...

... in its usual way of generating profits. After all, although in technical terms it is now the world's largest corporation, in fundamental terms the company is way, way, waaay down the list.

Why is this, one might ask? Well, despite its very small market share Apple reaps an enormous profit from the relatively few devices it does sell. (Read: they're incredibly overpriced.)

And how might COVID be profitable for Apple? The illusion of scarcity it creates stiffens the demand curve, allowing them to raise prices even further on what are already fairly cheap devices with already large price tags.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out for them.

11. Gerrardstut

I also thought that corona will cause an economic hurt ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like