back to article Indie VPN WireGuard gets the Torvalds seal of approval with inclusion in Linux kernel 5.6

The WireGuard VPN protocol, which is smaller, faster and easier to configure than IPsec, has been merged into Linus Torvalds' git repository for version 5.6 of the Linux kernel, the next release. There is no set date for Linux kernel releases. Version 5.5 was released on 26 January 2020 and there is typically a couple of …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Blackjack Silver badge

Eh...

Hope this doesn't lead to an emergency kernel update later.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. molletts

Re: That baby seal...

I think it's the seal of approval.

1. Spasticus Autisticus
        Happy

Baby seal

Unlike Serge the Seal of Death

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyu7EfrsiM4[/url]

Bollaux - don't seem to be able to make a link, what am I doing wrong?

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge
          Mushroom

Re: Baby seal

You can't make a link because you're trying to use BBCode, and, I quote, "HTML is the open standard of the web. Deal with it, bitches."

1. Captain Scarlet
            Coat

Re: Baby seal

:O do you have an issue with users from YaBB/ikonboard/invisionboard etc...?

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

What does the image have to do with the story...?

[reads filename]

Oh goddamnit. Where is the Picard facepalm icon?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What does the image have to do with the story...?

The adds are funny. Lasers...

5. Robert Grant

From the article: WireGuard is small and intended to be a VPN component rather than a complete solution, a fact that has led to some misunderstandings about its capability. Users will generally interact with VPN applications that support WireGuard.

I wonder why.

From the headline: Indie VPN WireGuard gets the Torvalds seal of approval

6. Oh Homer
    Pirate

VPN subversion

Yup, we're all "terrorists" now, hacking the planet from behind the Iron curtain of encrypted tunnels, spreading our subversive agenda.

Allegedly.

It wasn't that long ago that using a VPN, or even knowing about the existence of such a thing, lay exclusively within the realm of geeks, nae Übergeeks. Well OK, and remote office workers. In fact I'm pretty sure I recall mutterings to the effect that VPN and all forms of encryption were on the verge of being criminalized ... any day now.

Now it's virtually impossible to even watch a YouTube video without being spammed by one VPN slinger or another. Everybody's doing it, it seems.

I guess that whole Snoopers' Charter, warrantless mass surveillance, anti-piracy, anti-terrorism thing seriously backfired. Rather than putting a lid on it, it had the exact opposite effect, and now everyone and their pooch is digging tunnels under Big Brother's house.

Finally something to smile about.

1. fandom

Re: VPN subversion

Or, more likely, they are using VPNs to watch Netflix or Disney+ from places where they are not available.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

have you tried watching netflix using a VPN.. doesn't work anymore :(

2. steelpillow Silver badge
      Trollface

Perish the though that any self-promotional VPN slinger might be stirring in their own malware sauce to keep your data exclusive to themselves.

When it comes to apps leveraging WireGuard, I shall look for the same Open sauce it uses.

3. ThinkingMonkey

"Yup, we're all "terrorists" now, hacking the planet from behind the Iron curtain of encrypted tunnels, spreading our subversive agenda."

Or at least that was the opinion of a certain former U.S. FBI director, anyway.

He printed up posters to be placed in Internet cafes and the like with a call to react thusly: (paraphrased, but not much) "If you see a person using VPN or Tor, please report it."

What was to be done with the "evil hacker", once discovered, wasn't clear. Asked a lot of questions, I imagine.

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

IPv6

Any chance this simplicity and kernel integration will get IPv6 over VPN working? It's such a hot mess right now that most clients try to disable the IPv6 stack. That's fine if you're starting from an old IPv4-only network but it confuses apps if you activate VPN while already using IPv6.

1. John Sager

Re: IPv6

I've been using Wireguard for months now, but only for IPv4, though it is working well in a dual stack environment. I wonder if I might get MTU issues with v6 - the Wireguard tunnel on my Android phone has a MTU of only 1280.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Re: IPv6

A quick browse of the site doesn't suggest that it is any way limited to IPv4 - nor does it seem inherently tied to v4...

And the fist IPv6 mention in their white paper:

"Similarly opinionated, WireGuard is layer 3-only; as explained below in section 2, this is the cleanest approach for ensuring authenticity and attributability of the packets. The authors believe that layer 3 is the correct way for bridging multiple IP networks, and the imposition of this onto WireGuard allows for many simplifications, resulting in a cleaner and more easily implemented protocol. It supports layer 3 for both IPv4 and IPv6, and can encapsulate v4-in-v6 as well as v6-in-v4."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

all good news

... as indeed openvpn is based on the flawed openssl and ipsec is the mess to configure we know.

So great news to see this included in mainstream Linux. Looking forward to see 1.0 !

9. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Facepalm

Concern?

A concern is that WireGuard is still described as work in progress

Is that not something that systemd boasts about?

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Concern?

The issue is boasting about it continuously. I suspect this will move to being considered stable soon.

And because it is designed to do one thing well - it should remain that way...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Concern?

Paul Crawford,

The problem with 'work in progress' and 'systemd' ...... is the word 'progress'.

Cannot associate 'progress' with 'systemd' ....... 'Does not compute - Parsing Error' !!!

:)

10. John Robson Silver badge

Looks really interesting

I wonder if there is mileage in a WireGuard “assistant” program which allows a user to query the server for a hint about IP/port for other known hosts?

11. adam payne

Indie VPN WireGuard gets the Torvalds seal of approval with inclusion in Linux kernel 5.6

Lasers!

12. dubious

great...

...maybe now they'll bother with creating some documentation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like