back to article InLinkUK collapse: Ad market, planning woes, £20m debt and drug dealers using booths to blame, say admins

Smart phonebox firm InLinkUK went bust in December. Now, thanks to a statement of financials issued by administrators Duff & Phelps, we can peer into the troubled firm's accounts. InLinkUK has the grand ambition of replacing phone booths across major Brit cities with its slender InLink devices, which provide "ultrafast, free …

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Boo-hoo what a shame

One less useless piece of "street furniture" spewing adverts at your face as you try to make your way down an already busy pavement.

Ad-slingers seem to be of the opinion that an entire global economy can be formed from marketing guff going round in ever decreasing circles without anyone actually making or doing anything productive.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: Boo-hoo what a shame

Not to mention that in many counties phoneboths either no longer exist and or have not been working for over a decade.

1. john.jones.name
        Megaphone

small cell...

well others have been deploying small GSM cell's into their phone box's... 5G here we come...

any of the phone companies with phone box's still left well have now become an asset !

(previously companies like telstra used them to build out a Wifi network but GSM cell is much more lucrative as avoids nasty planning permissions since they are usually in places where people want phone reception and its hard to provide it)

advertising via radio waves....

2. K

There was a time when marketing was an art form. These days, its all about "clicks" and "impressions".

3. AndrueC Silver badge
      Alert

..and it's not a new idea.

I read that when I was a teenager and I credit it with giving me my lifelong hatred of all forms of advertising.

That one slipped me by. Might have to pick up a copy.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And the more a thing is advertised to me, the less chance there is of me stumping up the dosh for it there is.

So all you Funeral Flans, Over 50's Life Assurance and the rest, on yer bike. I ain't buying.

Come the inevitable revolution, there will be a lot of people meeting their maker. After Politicians and Lawyers, anyone in Advertising had better watch their backs.

If you want to save for a funeral plan / life cover / whatever, put whatever that premium was going to be into a credit union savings account instead, and do some good with it. The odds are good that your dependants will end up with a bigger payout when you cark it as well.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Eh, for funerals I much prefer cake anyway.

3. Sloppy Crapmonster

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2002/01/28/my-flamboyant-grandson

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Damn. That's from 2002. Google was only 4 years old; Facebook didn't exist yet. Amazon's collaborative-filtering recommendation system had only been patented a year earlier (US6266649). While the general direction may have been clear to those who were paying attention, that's still a marvelously prescient story.

(Pretty funny too. I chuckled audibly at the Burger King line.)

Thanks for the link.

4. LDS Silver badge
      Devil

"spewing adverts at your face as you try to make your way down"

And especially dangerous for those people walking while looking at ads spewed at their faces by the mobes their eyes are fixed upon!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm reminded of the anecdotal town where the people got through the Great Depression by taking in each other's laundry...

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"One less useless piece of "street furniture" spewing adverts at your face as you try to make your way down an already busy pavement."

On the other hand, one of the primary objections seems to be that nefarious souls could make anonymous calls for nefarious reasons. But that also applies to existing phone boxes, so is this a new reason for BT to remove the remaining ones?

7. eldakka Silver badge

It does help me populate my "do not buy from" list.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the firm's surprise demise"

Surprise ? For who ?

They provided a free service that required non-negligible installation costs, hardware maintenance and a fleet of support vehicles and personnel.

And they got no revenue out of it, except for dubious ad-related stuff.

The only surprise is that this firm didn't get created in the dot-com bubble along with all the other stupid ideas that placed revenue last on the list of requirements.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

Re: "the firm's surprise demise"

Billboard advertising would have been way too old fashioned in the 2000s to get any investment money. The future was banner advertising on websites.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just ad sponsored street urinals if you ask me.

Amsterdam have those cool ones that come out of the ground at night.

Even here in Bristol, they have big plastic ones that get brought in on the back of a van at the weekend, that they plonk down in the city centre.

I've never used one myself, principally because I'm not silly enough to want to go drinking in the city centre on a Friday or Saturday night, when there are nicer places with fewer thugs in them closer to home.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

cool ones that come out of the ground at night.

and then they chase you down the street, snap-snapping their metal jaws?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Lomax
      Pint

> Amsterdam have those cool ones that come out of the ground at night.

There's one near Charing Cross station.

Beer: because that's when you need them the most.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

owing over £20m to various creditors, primarily RiverRock European Capital Partners

well, it's all funny money anyway, never there in the first place. Created in a digital abyss with one click, back into digital abyss with another click...

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Alert

Re: owing over £20m to various creditors, primarily RiverRock European Capital Partners

Nope. It is (/was) your pension fund.

Re: owing over £20m to various creditors, primarily RiverRock European Capital Partners

Woe betide you if you put your pension funds into UK-based units. Foreign currency ones will perform much better when you consider that the GBP isn't exactly going to go up in value over the next couple of years, what with the political "leadership" this country has.

5. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    WTF?

Looks at fee calls offer

Looks at mobile phone with all inclusive package.

.Scratches head.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021