back to article Leaks point to Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra with mammoth 108MP camera and ... what? 16GB of RAM

There's just a few short weeks until the Samsung Unpacked launch event, where the South Korean giant will unveil this year's ultra-pricey flagships. Predictably, most of the pertinent details have already dripped out. The latest pertains to the potent Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra*, which packs some unbelievably meaty specs. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

No amount of RAM is excessive when Android is involved.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If it supports 4K DisplayPort over USB so I can use it as a proper desktop, that 16 GB of memory might come in handy when I have several dozen tabs open in Chrome while in full screen.

1. Timmy B

"If it supports 4K DisplayPort over USB so I can use it as a proper desktop, that 16 GB of memory might come in handy when I have several dozen tabs open in Chrome while in full screen."

I do pretty much that on my Tab S5e with Dex and IIRC that only has 6Gb (Monitor is good but not quite 4K)

2. BuckeyeB

Just show me where to plug in the keyboard.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Bluetooth?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Use a laptop docking station. If I attach my Dell USB-C dock to my phone, it detects my keyboard, mouse, monitor, and GigE port. No need to fuss with any Bluetooth accessories.

3. Timmy B

I too use a usb c dongle. It has 3 usp ports, HDMI and VGA out 2 card readers and usb c input for power, etc. Everything works apart from the VGA port and that's only because I've not tried it. It cost me less than £20.

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Coat

Oh, did we forget to mention?

and winter gave spring and summer a miss and went straight on into autumn…

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely you're going to need plenty of memory to manipulate 108 mega pixel images?

1. cirby

Yep - that was my first thought. That 16 gigs will fill up in just a few seconds if they're buffering in RAM.

1. jswitte3416

Yep

My first thought too. That's 1.7 GB per image (maybe - I'm assuming 16 bit color uncompressed; =108*10^6*16/10^9)

4. heyrick Silver badge

How big is the imager?

I mean, 108 megapixels? Surely the laws of physics would require a fairly large imager, with an appropriate lens? How does all that fit into a phone where the trend is to make them ever thinner?

1. Chris G

Re: How big is the imager?

Even on full frame DSLRs, the increasing pixel count means evermore processing to deal with noise, putting 108MP on a microscopic phone sensor is mostly a marketing ploy in my opinion. It will however, be interesting to see results from this 'camera'.

1. nekomoto

Maybe it's "108MP (interpolated)" like they used to say with Flatbed Scanners.

1. Is It Me

It will probably be the other way around.

There have been articles on here about using multiple pixels to cope with low light etc.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Commonly known as Binning, combining four pixels into one, my P20 does it and gives spectacular images, although there's an enormous amount of processing goes on between pressing the "shutter" and the final image being displayed.

2. Matt_payne666

Have a look at the current off the shelf Samsung 108mp camera...

It maybe a bit of a marketing gimmick, but DXO deem it worthy of the best phone camera currently on the market...

https://www.dxomark.com/the-best-smartphone-cameras-of-2019/

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

It's a marketing ploy. Even if the laws of the physical universe would allow that many pixels on a tiny little sensor, the optics will not resolve that level of detail. To take advantage of a 50-60mp full frame (35mm) sensor, it takes a lens with a whopping great price tag. DXOmark is a good place to look for details on that sort of thing. A serious photographer isn't going to show up on a job with their cell phone and live to book that customer again.

If you need a good camera, the last place you would shop is at the phone store. An adequate camera on your phone is a good enough tool.

5. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

But Wait, Act Now And Get...

...All the spyware you don't need, at a price you can't say no too.

1. FozzyBear
      Devil

Re: But Wait, Act Now And Get...

OMG! Shut up and take my money.

2. jmch Silver badge
      Devil

Re: But Wait, Act Now And Get...

"All the spyware you don't need"

Maybe that's what all the RAM is for

6. IGotOut Silver badge

I thought

We'd got over the stupid mega-pixel arms race with digital cameras...

I guess the buyers of these are to young to realise how pointless it was.

Now I'm off to listen to my super-cd on my 64bit 500x oversampling hifi that has a 10,000 watt PMPO amp connected to some Amstrad speakers.

1. Steve Aubrey
      Facepalm

Re: I thought

Don't forget your gold interconnect cables, that make digital signals sound so much smoother. Tight this way, just three thousand a meter - and well worth it (to somebody).

1. Zarno
        Trollface

I'll just leave this one here...

https://hackaday.com/2020/01/06/organic-audio-putting-carrots-as-audio-couplers-to-the-test/

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

But will the carrot connector give me root access?

1. Aussie Doc
            Trollface

Probably not, but you'll be able to see the connections really well.

2. Timbo

"Don't forget your gold interconnect cables, that make digital signals sound so much smoother. "

Anyone who knows anything about audio cables, knows one uses gold connectors and not gold conductors...there's plenty of better signal carrying conductors one can use, most based on silver.

If you want digital cables to sound better, you need to specify properly shielded cables to keep out all the RFI, 4G, 5G, Freeview and other digital gunk floating around in the ether.

3. MachDiamond Silver badge

"and well worth it (to somebody)."

Yeah, the guy selling you the cables. A couple sales and month and he's laughing.

2. commonsense

There is one advantage, if you look beyond the likely huge amount of noise in anything other than perfect lighting. You can crop a lot more and still have a usably large image.

7. John 104

Here's to hoping that it actually does come with a 5000mAH battery - and doesn't need it to run for 4 hours...

To manufacturers: No one gives a shit about thin. Give us decent batteries please. An extra mm to the phone thickness is worth it....

8. chivo243 Silver badge
    WTF?

Mobile Server!

Damn! I recently(2-3yrs ago) retired 3 servers that had 16gigs, in total! Do Ras-Pis come with that much RAM??

I wouldn't carry it in my front pocket either...

9. jaywin

More importantly

Will there be a 3.5mm headphone socket?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More importantly

From what I read elsewhere, no.

1. jaywin
        FAIL

Another phone off the list of possible upgrades in that case

2. BuckeyeB

That's terrible. I hate the bluetooth headphones.

3. Lazlo Woodbine

Hidzis make a great USB-C to 3.5mm DAC, I bought one last year for P20.

Accidentally left the DAC and my Sony earphones in my trouser pocket once and put them through the wash, they still work fine...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will there be a 3.5mm headphone socket?

as an

eco-friendly remote dongle