back to article Back up a minute: Private equity outfit coughs $5bn for Veeam

Insight Partners – the same private equity house that pumped half a billion dollars into data protection powerhouse Veeam Software earlier this year – is acquiring the firm for an estimated $5bn. Veeam, founded and owned by Russian techies Andrei Baronov and Ratmir Timashev, is currently based in Switzerland, but will now …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great products

I inherited a Veeam installation when I took over at a new company and, coming from years of horrible backup software - I'm looking at you Symantec - can't believe just how smooth, seamless and - gasp - enjoyable backup can actually be. Now this old cynic knows what evangelism is.

1. jpastin

Re: Great products

I am in a similar situation. I inherited a Veeam installation, and it has been surprisingly awesome. Backup software that doesn't leave me feeling skittish is kind of a big deal.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hopefully your renewal costs won't go through the roof, unless they have done already..

3. rcxb Silver badge

Veeam is really great software, unless you want differential backups, incremental tapes, etc. There's a surprising number of missing, WONTFIX features.

Quite possible those gaps are why adoption of Veeam has been limited, and not their country of operation.

1. Gostev

360K paying customers and #1 by market share in EMEA is not "limited adoption" though :)

2. OssianScotland

Community Edition?

I hope this does not mean the end of the Community Edition, which is a wonderful solution for small businesses / charities with limited budgets (and backup requirements)

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Community Edition?

Given that the new owners will want to recoup their investment as soon as possible, I'd start looking for alternatives if I were you.

2. Gostev

No changes to the Community Edition are planned in the foreseeable future.

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Better download those editions before they change their minds.

2. unredeemed

Roadmaps are always subject to change, you cannot definitely say this statement unless you were the CEO of the acquiring company.. New owners almost always are looking to recoup investments. Whether that be layoffs, product development and/or licensing changes. This is the norm in the industry.

In all cases, where an investment group acquires a company; it's about maximizing profits. Sure it may not be this year... But next? Who knows. Short term, it's most likely business as usual. But I'd expect pricing changes for new sales over time. Certain maintenance contracts going up in price, and perhaps some cross vendor agreements/partnerships reduced or expanded.

More importantly, where Veeam relied on SP's and VAR's to do a lot of lifting; we could see Veeam bolstering their own sales teams to break more into enterprise accounts. Something that haven't really done historically, due to their inability to scale into the 100's of TB's of data to protect, without some massive server/storage infrastructure. Yes SP's use them, but they are often single dedicated installs per customer! That is not "enterprise."

3. iron Silver badge

"one of the most exciting software companies in the world today"

Personally I like my backup provider to be very, very boring. Exciting backups sound like overtime waiting to happen.

1. adamb1

Personally, I find software exciting when it makes you look like a hero. We hear stories all the time about how Veeam was able to recover multi TB sized critical databases in just minutes, or helping customers transition workloads from VMware to cloud native AWS and Azure workloads. Veeam's "Veeam ONE" analytics tool is out there saving companies millions. Yes backups should be boring and always "just work". That's a given with Veeam, there's so much more beyond the surface.

2. J. Cook Silver badge

I get excited when I come in and find that my backups reports are as boring as wall paper paste. Can't say that with my current solution, which requires a lot of nursing and futzing around to keep it doing what it's supposed to be doing...

4. Piro Silver badge

Hmmm... I work a lot with Veeam. This sounds kind of fishy. Also, didn't the new CEO used to be the old CEO back in 2017? Surely there was a reason he was changed out back then.

1. Don Jefe

CEO’s are just employees and are subject to office politics like any other employee. Take Steve Jobs for example.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably more to do with the fact US are wary of a company owned by Russians. It's a good product for the SMB type space, but it just doesn't scale to enterprise levels.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

What sort of scale have you found it unsuitable for?

2. J. Cook Silver badge

Yes, please, do tell- We are looking to move to something else next fiscal, and Veeam is on my short list based on a previous trial run I had with a 90 day demo install some years back.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is an incorrect statement. I've used Veeam within Service Provider platforms backing up 1000s of VMs without issue. More importantly the recoverability features are advanced and are reliable. SPs mirror that of large Enterprises, so I'm not sure where this comes come?

1. unredeemed

The few MSP/SP's I've worked with... Veeam was installed in "pods." Meaning each customer got their own dedicated Veeam server, often a VM, writing to a DAS or large scale NAS. Never have I run into a single enterprise large scale veeam deployment measured in the thousands of VM's with hundreds of TBs of data being protected.

While many SP's mirror that of an "enterprise," veeam isn't deployed as such. I've seen asigra deployed as such. Even Netbackup and commvault in rare cases.

6. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

I use Veeam, it works reliably. I hope this acquisition doesn't turn it into a money-grubbing clusterfuck like so many other acquisitions have. Or, <deity> forbid, Insight Partners decides to sell it on to Microsoft/Oracle/VMWare/Dell a year from now... because that never happens, right? right?

1. That's it man, game over man, game over!

This should absolutely have been Dell (VMware) making this move, can't believe they didn't already

1. Fortycoats

Dell got itself a backup product or two when they acquired EMC. Not just the storage, but also DataDomain, NetWorker and Avamar.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While I have nothing personal against private equity firms, collectively they don't have the best track record when it comes to doing things in such a way that they're looked at as heros. Usually it's the opposite, and things wind up looking like "a money-grubbing clusterfuck".

7. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Got Veeam backup agent installed on a server2012 installation which I've inherited.

Happy with it as you can backup inside a VM or the whole host (if you want to) without any fuss.

And you have a clear indication of what got backed up and how much.

Can't rate it high enough.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Veeam goes the way of Veritas

..have a dig around and see how much cash Veritas returns to Carlyle Group and the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation and you will see why this is a great deal for Insight Partners...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like