back to article Lobes carry the load, says IDC: 'Hearables' sector accounts for half of all tech clobber sold

Wearable tech is seemingly big business, and according to number-cruncher IDC, the market grew by 94.6 per cent year-over-year in Q3 2019. Accounting for the rise is so-called "hearables" — which refers to wireless headphones and other assorted lobe-adorning kit — with almost 40.7 million units sold during the three months, up …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Cheap stuff actually not too bad

Because of the fear of losing my EarBuds whilst jogging I went for the cheap 25$ buds, SoundPeats. In general I never buy cheap stuff, I usually prefer brand names and quality. However and very surprisingly the sound quality, I am not an audiophile, is actually quite good, the autonomy is great or at least for my needs, 3 or 4 hours is fine and they are reasonably comfortable... I have nothing bad to say about them at all.

For once, cheap is just great, it makes me wonder what you are really getting when paying for Bose, Jabra, Apple or Samsung ear buds because honestly I can't see how their prices are justifiable for such a gadget as ear buds.. I find it hard to believe that a true audiophile would use earbuds....

Gartner : What a load of crock, what do they really do ? Just lift some numbers from Amazon's current high selling list and then publish an article, cmon most of us here could do that within a few minutes....

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Cheap stuff actually not too bad

"Gartner : What a load of crock, what do they really do ? Just lift some numbers from Amazon's current high selling list and then publish an article, cmon most of us here could do that within a few minutes..."

Yes, but we wouldn't have the chutzpah to invent spurious 'trends' based on the data, and then sell that hogwash to clueless companies.

2. iron Silver badge

Re: Cheap stuff actually not too bad

FYI this article is about IDC, they are a different organisation of fortune tellers, charlatans and mountebanks to Gartner. ;)

2. Nosher

Hearables/wearables

I think "twat-buds" is a better name

3. doublelayer Silver badge

Earworn wearables

Come on. A smartwatch is more than a regular watch. It's a watch that does more stuff and dies really fast. It's distinct. The things being called earworn wearables or hearables now, on the other hand, are just earphones. You put them in your ears, connect them to something else, and they make sound based on what the thing you connected them does. It doesn't run apps or let you program it or have any function without a connected device. No special name needed.

I wonder what people would think of a real wearable based around an earphone. I have a feeling the lack of a screen would make it rather unpopular. The only thing that comes to mind is a set of earphones that have a voice assistant built into them rather than requiring a separate phone to do that. While it's not a thing I or probably anyone here would want, it sounds like a thing Amazon might experiment with for a while.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020