back to article Microsoft plays 'Spot the Azure VM that can disappear any time'

Microsoft has teased Azure Spot Virtual Machines, discounted VMs that can be "evicted any time if Azure needs capacity". The rationale behind Spot VMs is simple. From Microsoft's point of view, they mop up spare capacity that would otherwise earn nothing, and for the customer they offer compute resources at a substantial …

1. cornetman Silver badge

Hardly a new idea. Haven't AWS been doing this for years?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

But it's on Azure, so it's better.

1. NeilPost Bronze badge

Uber for VM’s.

2. Steve_Jobs1974

Love the way Microsoft just flat out copies AWS and doesnt even bother chaning the names of the services.

Spot

Dedicated Hosts

Avalibility Zones

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess

1. Bronek Kozicki Silver badge

I think that's good, actually. It would be so annoying if we had to adopt different vocabulary (and set of abstractions) for each cloud provider.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ive been using this for afew moths based on the vmms offering. I can tell you that it started off good but has turned to a crap show.... my vm set is set to evict based on capacity (ie: it should not evict based on price). It runs for about 15 mins before being evicted, i can restart it and it will again run for about 15 mins before being evicted. (repeat over and over).

Is this microsofts way of saying "we have no capacity"?

I have tried in different datacenters like india, east us etc and same thing happens.

I DO NOT BELIEVE MICROSOFT HAS NO CAPACITY (see images), this is more a teaser to get you through the door and so ms can say "we have a similar offering to other providers", it obviously does not work....

After spending all that time setting up and having it run nicely for a month, i cant even get enough time to copy off the files to a standard vm.... crap show Microsoft!

https://ibb.co/ChCGzKw

https://ibb.co/GTCjx2d

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020