Re: Anyone surprised
@Suricou Raven - "The things they demand, cannot be given"
One has already been given, and the rest relate to what was promised in the Basic Law. The Five Demands are:
1. Full withdrawal of the extradition bill already given.
2. A commission of inquiry into alleged police brutality Article 28: no arbitrary or unlawful arrest, torture, or killing
3. Retracting the classification of protesters as “rioters” Article 27: freedom of speech, of assembly, of procession and of demonstration
4. Amnesty for arrested protesters Article 27: freedom of speech, of assembly, of procession and of demonstration
5. Dual universal suffrage, meaning for both the Legislative Council and the Chief Executive Article 45: The ultimate aim is selection of the Chief Executive by universal suffrage; Article 68:The ultimate aim is the election of all the members of the Legislative Council by universal suffrage.
@Suricou Raven - "any Chief Executive who does will be swiftly out of a career"
Carrie Lam isn't going to get re-elected anyway. Her choice is between a legacy of "the CE who destroyed HK" and "the CE who saved HK".